Need help on decision. Was sent wrong mill and not sure what to do.

I personally would take a gear head over a variable speed unit.
I have replaced alot of variable speed head belts over the years but rarely get a call to repair a gear head.
If in the future you'd like to do something else, then in the future worry about it then

Let's see some pictures of this new machine and maybe even the work bench!
Kick some chips and take names!
I will say its beautiful and the table has no back lash.

Attachments

• 833.jpg
    833.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 88
I did gunsmithing/pistolsmithing on my early PM25 mill. Gunsmithing isn't about hogging metal, or at least that is not what I have done for over 30 years. Most common end mill I used was a 1/4", sometimes a 3/8".

YMMV of course.
thanks the most I would ever do and it would be once in a blue moon would maybe be a shell mill but most of what I plan to do is reweld torched receivers and mill the excess off.

. do you think the 833tv could handle steel for gunsmithing? As for the CNC thing I may never do it but its nice having the option. My main concern now is will the machine handle steel well.
Sorry for the late reply. I believe that for gunsmithing, it would be fine, although admittedly, I don't do gunsmithing, so my knowledge is limited. As others have mentioned, it should work just fine with the correct feeds, speeds, and cutter choices.

Sounds like the machine you got is working pretty good!

My PM940M-CNC-VS has a 2 speed geared head, 3 phase motor, and Delta VFD. This is not as well built a machine as the 833 as it came out of China. The rated max speed is 3200rmp just as the 833TV is listed. I only seldom run it that fast an when i do I am usually drilling very small holes. The gears are in an oil bath as I would assume would be the case for the 833T. I also run it at ~50 rpm when I am using an edge finder. If indeed the spindle bearings are the same then why can the 833T not be driven at the higher speed if a VFD is added. It is not clear in the PM add if the 833TV has a 3 or 1 phase motor as the VFD would convert the power. I assume that the 833T has a 1 phase motor? So you would have to think this through. Anyway, even without this, I don't think I have ever changed the motor speed during a milling operation. So having a fixed geared head spindle speed for any given job is not a serious issue. The absolute speed is a bigger deal. Some times on small motions I wish I had an even higher RPM. My machine is not precise enough to do engraving as the backlash would break the small tools, but there you need much higher spindle speeds anyway. (One of these days I will get the backlash corrected ... some more.)

Good Luck.

@B2 The 833T is a single-phase motor, whereas the 833TV is a 3-phase. The heads are obviously different, but I want to say that even the spindle is different. I also found my 833T to be quite loud at its highest speed. My Sharp mill with the Reeves drive is significantly quieter.
I spent a fair amount of time researching how to convert my 833T to CNC and finally determined that it would be quite a chore and not worth it.

I ordered a PM-833TV months ago and recent go the chance to set the machine up. I did inventory check and had everything on my accessories but I didn't confirm I got the correct mill. The silhouette of the mill behind the plastic was the shape of my 833TV I ordered. I didn't bother to double check. I am quite happy with the quality of the machine. I had a friend come over and borrowed a engine hoist to lift it on the stand. The next day while working on the DRO installation I realized I was sent a PM-833T instead. I contacted support and they have had great communication. Before I go any further I just want to say don't let my situation dissuade you from purchasing from Precision Mathews. This was honest mistake and I am not mad at them at all! I am at a tough crossroads. This mill was to be my forever mill. I wanted the 833TV model for if I converted to CNC down the road. Granted I may never but its nice having the option. I was offered either a $400 dollar credit towards other items if I keep this wrong mill which is generous or instead initiate the process to have the mill replaced which is a lot of work to do. What would you guys recommend? What would you do in my shoes? Is it worth the hassle?
I would get what you want...

I ordered a PM-833TV months ago and recent go the chance to set the machine up. I did inventory check and had everything on my accessories but I didn't confirm I got the correct mill. The silhouette of the mill behind the plastic was the shape of my 833TV I ordered. I didn't bother to double check. I am quite happy with the quality of the machine. I had a friend come over and borrowed a engine hoist to lift it on the stand. The next day while working on the DRO installation I realized I was sent a PM-833T instead. I contacted support and they have had great communication. Before I go any further I just want to say don't let my situation dissuade you from purchasing from Precision Mathews. This was honest mistake and I am not mad at them at all! I am at a tough crossroads. This mill was to be my forever mill. I wanted the 833TV model for if I converted to CNC down the road. Granted I may never but its nice having the option. I was offered either a $400 dollar credit towards other items if I keep this wrong mill which is generous or instead initiate the process to have the mill replaced which is a lot of work to do. What would you guys recommend? What would you do in my shoes? Is it worth the hassle?
The attached write-up may be helpful to you. It goes through an analysis of the two 833 configuration trade-offs, discusses the pros/cons of benchtop versus knee mills, and has specific links to videos that document various attributes of the 833-TV model.

Attachments

• Benchtop_versus_Compact_Knee_Mill_12-2021.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
An edge finder works that slow? I am usually around 800-1,000 rpm.
I think you'll find there's a wide range of speeds recommended by different manufacturers Starrett recommends fairly quick rotation while some other manufacturers recommend somewhat slower speeds. Here's a clip from Starrett.

"(Starrett Co.). Step 1 Secure the edgefinder in a collet or chuck in the machine spindle. Step 2 Set the spindle speed to about 600 to 1000 rpm, and slide the edgefinder tip over so that it is off center."

Some of their older publications recommend a minimum speed of 300rpm. 1000rpm is about as fast as they can go without tearing themselves apart. Over the years I've found them to be less accurate at speeds lower than 300rpm.

Back