Need help on decision. Was sent wrong mill and not sure what to do.

Prest0n97

Registered
Registered
I ordered a PM-833TV months ago and recent go the chance to set the machine up. I did inventory check and had everything on my accessories but I didn't confirm I got the correct mill. The silhouette of the mill behind the plastic was the shape of my 833TV I ordered. I didn't bother to double check. I am quite happy with the quality of the machine. I had a friend come over and borrowed a engine hoist to lift it on the stand. The next day while working on the DRO installation I realized I was sent a PM-833T instead. I contacted support and they have had great communication. Before I go any further I just want to say don't let my situation dissuade you from purchasing from Precision Mathews. This was honest mistake and I am not mad at them at all! I am at a tough crossroads. This mill was to be my forever mill. I wanted the 833TV model for if I converted to CNC down the road. Granted I may never but its nice having the option. I was offered either a $400 dollar credit towards other items if I keep this wrong mill which is generous or instead initiate the process to have the mill replaced which is a lot of work to do. What would you guys recommend? What would you do in my shoes? Is it worth the hassle?

If I was serious about converting the mill later, I'd replace it. If the conversion was a 'gee maybe I'll do that someday', I'd set the machine up and use it. But that's just me.

First off Welcome to the forum! I can't really help you out with your decision. Personally, if I had my heart set on the 833TV I would probably go through the steps to get the mill I wanted.

Looking at the web site I see the big difference between the two is the spindle speed. As they said on the web site the gear head unit has more power, better for heavy cut in steel. Where the TV unit has almost twice the spindle speed, better for working in aluminum.

From what I have heard the gear head unit does not require as much maintenance years down the road as variable speed one will.

The $400 dollar credit is enticing though.

I wish I could be of more help; I just don't have enough experience to really give you a good answer.

Tim

In the scheme of things, $400 in this hobby is pretty meaningless. Best to get the machine you want, otherwise you will be unhappy and later take a beating to replace it with what you want.

Get it replaced with the one you wanted. You will then have no regrets down the road. It will be worth the lost time now.

I have never dealt with PM. They sound like a stand up company. If they offered to make good on an honest mistake do it. You would not be that lucky with other companies.

Best of luck on your decision. What ever road you choose.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I would sent it back and buy a Bridgeport.
In all honesty, this isn’t a bad recommendation.

Of course if you only have space for a bench mill you’re kinda stuck with what you have or what you actually ordered. But, if you can stretch a little in space and budget why not consider a knee mill.

In the few weeks I’ve had my baby Bridgeport I can see many situations where a bench mill would be hard to make work. I really didn’t think I had room, but when one came available locally I decided to go for it. It’s an 8x35 size and takes up a little more space than my RF-30 did.

There’s a good reason that almost every pro shop has a Bridgeport or clone, it’s hard to beat the versatility.

For CNC I’d suggest thinking hard about what your use case will be. If you really need one there may be better/cheaper options than buying a new machine and converting it.

John

I would sent it back and buy a Bridgeport.
I'd go one step better and buy a Tree 2UVR. They're a little heavier than the Bridgeports and have a much nicer collet system for short people like me. We had several at work and I tried to purchase one for my shop. Unfortunately, at the time they were in demand in this area and were going for big bucks.

I ended up with a Bridgeport BR2J from a local high school. It's a good machine and has never let me down, but it's a real stretch to reach up to tighten or loosen the draw bar.

Back