Need help on decision. Was sent wrong mill and not sure what to do.

If I received anything other than what I ordered, it would go right back where it came from.
I would reconsider my purchase from a company who can’t do their job correctly and probably wouldn’t do business with them again.
This wasn’t a minor purchase., the lack of competence or the possibility of sending something (anything) to complete the order would frost me to no end.
They know the difference between models I assure you.
This incompetence would not fly in my industry.

I'd go one step better and buy a Tree 2UVR. They're a little heavier than the Bridgeports and have a much nicer collet system for short people like me. We had several at work and I tried to purchase one for my shop. Unfortunately, at the time they were in demand in this area and were going for big bucks.

I ended up with a Bridgeport BR2J from a local high school. It's a good machine and has never let me down, but it's a real stretch to reach up to tighten or loosen the draw bar.

That is what I have Tree UVR in my garage shop. I love it. It is a bit low for me. As I am 6’4”.
I need to replace the belts and check the bearings. To get it back in top shape. Runs like a champ.

I would recommend a Tree mill any day of the week. An added bonus is the low overall height. Maybe 6-1/2 feet total.

Cutting oil is my blood.

First off Welcome to the forum! I can't really help you out with your decision. Personally, if I had my heart set on the 833TV I would probably go through the steps to get the mill I wanted.

Looking at the web site I see the big difference between the two is the spindle speed. As they said on the web site the gear head unit has more power, better for heavy cut in steel. Where the TV unit has almost twice the spindle speed, better for working in aluminum.

From what I have heard the gear head unit does not require as much maintenance years down the road as variable speed one will.

The $400 dollar credit is enticing though.

I wish I could be of more help; I just don't have enough experience to really give you a good answer.

Tim
This is definitely useful information. I plan on gunsmithing so cutting steel is more important. SO to be honest I may keep it at that point.

I can't say anything about which is best. For me, I would look at it as would I want to spend the $400 for items from only that supplier and that mill at time of purchase?

Do they have items you actually need at this time?

$400 cash versus the credit from the supplier that messed up my order and sent me something I didn't order aren't the same.

Looks like shipping is $299 Plus $79 lift gate charge if needed both one way.

Bottom line is you need to do what is best for you and makes you happy.

I would send it back, you would not be responsible for shipping since they sent the wrong item. They are very different mills, and there are significant limitations in a gear head mill vs. a belt drive. If this was a small dollar purchase then it might be different, but spending over $5K for a machine, you should get what you ordered. A belt drive will be much quieter and have almost 2X the spindle speed of a similar gear drive, also less to go wrong over time. If you do plan to go CNC at some future point, it will be a much easier conversion with a belt drive. I had a previous gear head mill, it was rated maximum of 3K spindle speed, but the noise and high bearings temperatures limited to much lower speeds for any continued use. I would agree with Mike Walton, I do not find shipping a completely different machine as acceptable. I can see something minor such as an accessory, but shipping the wrong machine and not immediately providing a corrective process to return it and get what you ordered I find very troubling.

It sounds like the OP may have had this machine setting in the crate in his shop for weeks and maybe months. If it just arrived a few days ago I would agree that the seller should replace it with the proper machine immediately.

However if it has set for months that might be a different story. I’m betting he signed a document that said he received what he ordered in good condition. Sellers have this type of document signed specifically to avoid incidences where customers have buyers remorse and later claim they didn’t get what they ordered or the merchandise was damaged and they want to return it for something different

If the wrong machine was sent and the seller is willing to replace it with the right machine I would certainly go that route. If he doesn’t he’ll be kicking himself every time he wants to do something beyond the limits of the current machine.

Last edited:
In an effort to see the upsides and downsides of his decision, It is far easier to CNC a mill driven by a VFD that allows RS485 or CANBUS controls. take the 400$, use it , develop a lot more skills, and one day put a 3ph motor and appropriate VFD on it. This is what I would do, but other people will have other values....

1,500 max RPM spindle would be a problem for me. At the same time 60 is really low, and I can't think of the last time I used 60 RPM for anything. I run 1/2" end mills in aluminum faster than 1,500 RPM, and small end mills even faster.

If you're going to do a lot of work in steel, especially with large cutters, the gear head unit would be the way to go. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to use a benchtop mill for heavy cuts in steel with a large cutter.

If I were in your shoes I'd swap for the belt driven variable speed machine. If I was going to keep it, I'd take a good look at what those 6 available speeds are - 60 RPM is almost useless. It's only $400.

I would send it back, you would not be responsible for shipping since they sent the wrong item. They are very different mills, and there are significant limitations in a gear head mill vs. a belt drive. If this was a small dollar purchase then it might be different, but spending over $5K for a machine, you should get what you ordered. A belt drive will be much quieter and have almost 2X the spindle speed of a similar gear drive, also less to go wrong over time. If you do plan to go CNC at some future point, it will be a much easier conversion with a belt drive. I had a previous gear head mill, it was rated maximum of 3K spindle speed, but the noise and high bearings temperatures limited to much lower speeds for any continued use. I would agree with Mike Walton, I do not find shipping a completely different machine as acceptable. I can see something minor such as an accessory, but shipping the wrong machine and not immediately providing a corrective process to return it and get what you ordered I find very troubling.
They offered to completely replace it with the correct one I am just deciding on the decision on what to do. I just know its going to be a lot of trouble to set it up on the crate again.

1,500 max RPM spindle would be a problem for me. At the same time 60 is really low, and I can't think of the last time I used 60 RPM for anything. I run 1/2" end mills in aluminum faster than 1,500 RPM, and small end mills even faster.

If you're going to do a lot of work in steel, especially with large cutters, the gear head unit would be the way to go. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to use a benchtop mill for heavy cuts in steel with a large cutter.

If I were in your shoes I'd swap for the belt driven variable speed machine. If I was going to keep it, I'd take a good look at what those 6 available speeds are - 60 RPM is almost useless. It's only $400.
only use for 60 rpm would be for countersinking maybe but even then I'm not sure. I don't plan on making large steel parts but do plan on making small steel parts or repairing old firearms.

Back