Need help on decision. Was sent wrong mill and not sure what to do.

There are a few threads on here regarding the 833T vs 833TV. I owned an 833T for a while but eventually bought a Sharp knee mill to replace it. The 833TV was not available when I bought my 833T, but if it would have been I would have bought the TV version. Like you, I too thought about converting my 833 to a CNC mill, but doing that with the gear head 833T would be difficult. The 833TV would be much easier to convert.
Personally, I would send it back. You didn't get what you ordered.
You apparently already made this decision once by ordering the 833TV. Why second guess that initial decision?

There are a few threads on here regarding the 833T vs 833TV. I owned an 833T for a while but eventually bought a Sharp knee mill to replace it. The 833TV was not available when I bought my 833T, but if it would have been I would have bought the TV version. Like you, I too thought about converting my 833 to a CNC mill, but doing that with the gear head 833T would be difficult. The 833TV would be much easier to convert.
Personally, I would send it back. You didn't get what you ordered.
You apparently already made this decision once by ordering the 833TV. Why second guess that initial decision?
You do have a point. do you think the 833tv could handle steel for gunsmithing? As for the CNC thing I may never do it but its nice having the option. My main concern now is will the machine handle steel well. I dont plan on making full guns from scratch just repairing old firearms and making small parts no bigger than 4x4 inches. People say to buy a full size mill but I don't like the idea of renting a forklift to move such a thing.

You do have a point. do you think the 833tv could handle steel for gunsmithing? As for the CNC thing I may never do it but its nice having the option. My main concern now is will the machine handle steel well. I dont plan on making full guns from scratch just repairing old firearms and making small parts no bigger than 4x4 inches. People say to buy a full size mill but I don't like the idea of renting a forklift to move such a thing.
Pretty sure the 833TV will handle most materials you put to it with the right cutter, speed and feed.

but,

If you have the space, and PM will let you upgrade, and it's within budget....

Moving a mill isn't as hard as it seems. I moved mine with a rented engine hoist and a palate jack. As long as you have the space prepared you really only have to do it once, you can put out a request to forum members in you area for help. Worst case you hire riggers to put it into place but I suspect the delivery driver will move it near where you want and all you'll need to do is get it off the palate.

Showing as in stock now.

Here's my similar machine.

1691292155839.png

John

do you think the 833tv could handle steel for gunsmithing?
The VT has a VFD to control the speed, so you'll lose torque at the lowest RPM. Again, this isn't the machine for a 6" cutter in steel.

I'd ask folks here how well it works at 100 RPM, and unless the answer is bad, I wouldn't worry about steel.

I did gunsmithing/pistolsmithing on my early PM25 mill. Gunsmithing isn't about hogging metal, or at least that is not what I have done for over 30 years. Most common end mill I used was a 1/4", sometimes a 3/8".

YMMV of course.

For small stuff, a bench mill should do the trick.

As for moving a full size mill, you don't need a forklift. I've moved a handful of them with a trailer and pallet jack. A J Bar helps, but a big crowbar will do it too. I moved my current mill (roughly 1700-2000#) with the help of a friend and a few simple tools. I unloaded it myself in 10 minutes (I had to get the trailer returned to the rental place).

There's a lot of YouTube content on moving a full size mill.

I personally would take a gear head over a variable speed unit.
I have replaced alot of variable speed head belts over the years but rarely get a call to repair a gear head.
If in the future you'd like to do something else, then in the future worry about it then

Let's see some pictures of this new machine and maybe even the work bench!
Kick some chips and take names!

I just saw a Milwaukee universal with a vertical head on FB marketplace 10 miles from me for $800. If we're going big, we may as well go REAL big.....

I would sent it back and buy a Bridgeport

Last edited:
1,500 max RPM spindle would be a problem for me. At the same time 60 is really low, and I just can't think of the last time I used 60 RPM for anything. I run 1/2" end mills in aluminum faster than 1,500 RPM, and small end mills even faster.

If you're going to do a lot of work in steel, especially with large cutters, the gear head unit would be the way to go. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to use a benchtop mill for heavy cuts in steel with a large cutter.

If I were in your shoes I'd swap for the belt driven variable speed machine. If I was going to keep it, I'd take a good look at what those 6 available speeds are - 60 RPM is almost useless. It's only $400.
I use 60rpm or close for tapping all the time. Using the slower speed allows the tap to coast to a stop rather than needing to do an instant reverse.

My Bridgeport is a 1.5hp variable speed head. With a speed range of 60rpm to 4200rpm. It’s never lacked fo hp in any material. However I rarely use mills over 1” in diameter.

Back