Name for these electrical plugs?

Jeez, all you need is a plug that can carry the max amperage that the motor can draw. Mouser, DigiKey, McMaster, pick whoever you want, and find a M/F pair of adequate plugs. It's not a restoration or a rocket ship, right? You can get Canon/ITT/Deutsch plugs with 3/8" solid pins that can power a 260-series International truck starter. You can literally open any number of catalogs and pick something that will work. I chose Speakon connectors for my stepper motors because they are cheap, common, and adequate for the load. I didn't start a thread on it, because it's as mundane as finding a bolt to fit a threaded hole. Does it fit? Is it adequate? Great! Next project!

Sorry in advance to @Aaron_W. I'm playing the devil's advocate/reality check guy here, and I'm at a loss to being constructive. I have every confidence you will find what you need to provide disconnectable power to your sub-1.5A motor. Lots of companies supply parts to connect two wires together. My constructive advice is to get out and look.

The "big issue" involved here is to avoid a connector for anything, such as a lamp or appliance, that can plugged into the female end. It won't cause a short, just putting something is series with the motor. But will possibly cause a great deal of confusion when it happens. In a worst case scenario, using a piece of wire across the cap will cause the motor to run at full speed.

I would certainly be confused if I plugged my table lamp into my soldering iron and it caused music to come out. I mean, the garden hose sure fits in the oil fill cap on my car like it was meant to, but I'm not putting the two together. Now, I don't know how to prevent anyone from plugging my HAM radio into my sewing machine by way of my wife's Mixmaster, but that's just one too far. Better hard wire it.

Jeez, all you need is a plug that can carry the max amperage that the motor can draw. Mouser, DigiKey, McMaster, pick whoever you want, and find a M/F pair of adequate plugs. It's not a restoration or a rocket ship, right? You can get Canon/ITT/Deutsch plugs with 3/8" solid pins that can power a 260-series International truck starter. You can literally open any number of catalogs and pick something that will work. I chose Speakon connectors for my stepper motors because they are cheap, common, and adequate for the load. I didn't start a thread on it, because it's as mundane as finding a bolt to fit a threaded hole. Does it fit? Is it adequate? Great! Next project!

Sorry in advance to @Aaron_W. I'm playing the devil's advocate/reality check guy here, and I'm at a loss to being constructive. I have every confidence you will find what you need to provide disconnectable power to your sub-1.5A motor. Lots of companies supply parts to connect two wires together. My constructive advice is to get out and look.

It is sort of a restoration. Lots of options for functional, but it is for a 100+ year old watch makers lathe so I was initially hoping for something that looked at least sort of period correct. At this point I think I'm down to functional and aesthetically pleasing.

I've barely been home since the beginning of April so I haven't gotten anywhere on this yet, but there have been many possible solutions suggested.

Aaron, I think is a great idea to make it right for you and consistent for the type and period. You might try antique stores. If the wires are frayed, you can often get electrical tidbits at low prices, and might look quite authentic. Most plugs before the 50s were just brass or bronze, and not nickel plated. These are easy to clean and reset for proper contact.

Aaron, I think is a great idea to make it right for you and consistent for the type and period. You might try antique stores. If the wires are frayed, you can often get electrical tidbits at low prices, and might look quite authentic. Most plugs before the 50s were just brass or bronze, and not nickel plated. These are easy to clean and reset for proper contact.

I did have to replace the wiring, but the old wiring was just lamp cord, dry and brittle, it was certainly not original to the lathe either. Modern lamp cord was nearly identical, to the old, just not dry and brittle.
This lathe came from the estate of the owner of a local but long out of business jewelry and watch repair shop so it is in pretty decent shape other than sitting for who knows how long.

I would certainly be confused if I plugged my table lamp into my soldering iron and it caused music to come out. I mean, the garden hose sure fits in the oil fill cap on my car like it was meant to, but I'm not putting the two together. Now, I don't know how to prevent anyone from plugging my HAM radio into my sewing machine by way of my wife's Mixmaster, but that's just one too far. Better hard wire it.
It is a legitimate issue. That's why electrical connectors come in so many configurations, to prevent accidents. It might be obvious to the current user not to plug something else into it but machines usually outlive their owners and who knows what will happen to it in the future. IMHO it's good practice to make things mistake proof as possible, especially electrical connections.

Back