Name for these electrical plugs?

A bit off topic...but since you are talking about powering a watchmakers lathe, I would like to point out that the motor for your watchmaker's lathe is a "universal" type motor. It will run on AC or DC. I have found that these motors run much better on DC. I have 4 watchmaker's lathes that I power with DC. The low speed torque is especially improved using DC power. The speed controller that is used on treadmills works fine for the application. Treadmill motors run on DC. There are plenty of options for converting AC to DC with speed control.

A bit off topic...but since you are talking about powering a watchmakers lathe, I would like to point out that the motor for your watchmaker's lathe is a "universal" type motor. It will run on AC or DC. I have found that these motors run much better on DC. I have 4 watchmaker's lathes that I power with DC. The low speed torque is especially improved using DC power. The speed controller that is used on treadmills works fine for the application. Treadmill motors run on DC. There are plenty of options for converting AC to DC with speed control.
Yep, I have a cutter/grinder that I actually run with a lamp dimmer. A variable voltage dc power supply might be an excellent choice.

John

Sure it will work for that and a lot of other low voltage applications, but I doubt they are good choice for 120v AC. The McMaster site says 50v AC/DC @ 7A.
Common for wheel chair chargers, 3 pin, plus, minus and the other shorted to one or the other tells controller that charger is plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Here is the tag, it looks like you are right it is a universal motor.

motor tag.jpg

Are you suggesting something like this to run it?

3V - 24V 1.5A 36W Adjustable DC Power Supply Kit AC Adapter Speed Control Volt Display

I don’t know how many volts for how many rpm, might be worth some research there.

If you have an old laptop power supply you can find out what 19 volts does.

A router speed control would probably work just fine for that. The cheapest is probably the one sold by Harbor Freight at $15, better ones are available for more money. I have one I built from an EICO kit back in high school in the 1970s. It still worked last time I used it a couple of years ago.

Late, but the sewing machine reference = what was called a General Electric connector used on some Singer cabinets so the foot pedal could be removed and stored in a drawer. One was an art-deco cabinet that was also a writing desk complete with an ink well in a drawer. Have one in my collection.

Ron

Not having read the entire thread, there may have been a solution presented that I am not aware of. Many older types of connections have been "obsoleted" for safety reasons. Cords with metal covers will be very difficult to find new.

Might I suggest something of the nature of a "dime store" 2 wire lamp extension cord with a "non-standard" plug-cap configuration. Most modern sewing machines use a series universal motor with an electronic gizmo to control speed. An "old style" resistive foot pedal is rare today. What you are looking for will be on the order of an automotive trailer connector that has 2 conductors and is rated for 120/240 volts.

I include a couple of links to suppliers of electrical or electronic components. The big issue with them is that they carry many connectors not rated for 120 or 240 volts. Care should be taken that most "audio" devices are not so rated. Motor current will probably not be an issue, a small motor such as yours will not draw much, 2 amps at the outside.

Back