Name for these electrical plugs?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm trying to find replacements for the plug on a watch makers lathe. Simple 2 prong plug but with round pins instead of flats. 120v AC and allows the foot pedal speed control to be connected to the lathe. The ones on it work, but are quite old and I'm concerned it is just a matter of time for them. I'd also like to have the option of using a dial type speed control in the future so would need a compatible plug to do that.

Plugs are about 1" long and 1/2" in diameter with two 1/8" round pins with matching round sockets on the other half.

plug.jpg

I've tried 120v two pole plug, 2 pin plug, round in various combinations. The closest I've been able to find are trailer plugs. I'm sure this is just a matter of knowing the right search terminology.

What would happen if you replaced both of those with a more common male & female receptacle? Aren’t they just conducting electricity?

Edit: this discussion discourages that idea!

If that won’t work, you could try *taking a picture head on*, and then doing a Google image search.

Last edited:
Check allied electronics or gallon or wolf automation.
More then likely you will need to buy both sides the obsolete existing connector will probably be unavailable

I suggest converting it to a twist lock plug and receptacle with 3 prongs, so you can add a ground wire.

Those were used on sewing machines back in the 1960's. Maybe check your local appliance repair store.

The three prong plugs in the size are called a xlr plug used in the music industry and in battery power connections these days. They might offer in a two pin never checked.

It’s the size of the OP’s items that is curious to me. A lot of the plug connectors on my old sewing machines do indeed have a two or three pin style but they’re quite a bit larger. The OP’s are only 1/2” diameter — that’s only slightly larger than a TV co-ax cable. I did find “LEMO” connectors that are kind of close but I don’t think correct. Back to the sewing machine idea — few makes are interchangeable so a Bernina machine has to have a Bernina cord, a Pfaff pin configuration is different than a Singer, etc. I’m wondering if they weren’t a similar proprietary design for that particular power supply.

-frank

It’s the size of the OP’s items that is curious to me. A lot of the plug connectors on my old sewing machines do indeed have a two or three pin style but they’re quite a bit larger. The OP’s are only 1/2” diameter — that’s only slightly larger than a TV co-ax cable. I did find “LEMO” connectors that are kind of close but I don’t think correct. Back to the sewing machine idea — few makes are interchangeable so a Bernina machine has to have a Bernina cord, a Pfaff pin configuration is different than a Singer, etc. I’m wondering if they weren’t a similar proprietary design for that particular power supply.

-frank
I was a sewing machine repair technician back in the 60's. My boss used to import "generic" sewing machines from the far east and mate them with US made motors. We had the two pin connectors (male and female) in bulk. My memory of 60 years ago is that they were between 1/2" and 3/4" in diameter.

Proprietary design. You might want to replace with a small Hubbell twist lock type
Check Mouser, Digi-Key, Newark

Back