Name for these electrical plugs?

I use XLR connectors to connect my 36V DC eBike batteries to their 110V AC charger.
Sure it will work for that and a lot of other low voltage applications, but I doubt they are good choice for 120v AC. The McMaster site says 50v AC/DC @ 7A.

This line cord is fairly common on computers, or was at one time. It may be found by 'scrounging' for it or ordering new. It is quite inexpensive, probably cost more for shipping than the cable. It contains both connectors needed, just cut it and splice in as needed. The way I do things is to order several in case such a situation comes up in the future. That is not to recommend, just comment. . .

My search parameters were a little more specific this time. And the cable should be available from any number of sources.

1643632675834.png 1643632723660.png

RS Pro by Allied 1373334​

Mfr. Part #: 1373334
Allied Stock #: 71174033

In addition to what's already been said, remember not to allow power on exposed pins when the connectors are unplugged from each other. This would mean pins on the foot pedal cable. But also consider what would happen if someone were to plug that into a standard receptacle. For that reason, it's a good idea to use a keyed or non-standard connector.

I could have sworn I've seen this type of connector before, but it does appear to be an obsolete type. I'll take a look at the Allied Electric site, Radio Shack is where I would have gone in the past, but the local one closed a couple years ago, not sure they even exist anymore.

I was hoping to stick with a similar look but there are modern options if I have to go that way and it is operational currently, just old and will eventually have to be replaced. The wiring is new, I already replaced the ancient dry and cracked cord.

In addition to what's already been said, remember not to allow power on exposed pins when the connectors are unplugged from each other. This would mean pins on the foot pedal cable. But also consider what would happen if someone were to plug that into a standard receptacle. For that reason, it's a good idea to use a keyed or non-standard connector.

Sockets end is attached to the cord and wall socket, the pins on the motor side so only energized when plugged in to the cord. Good point on not just using a standard plug though to help prevent mishaps.

For those following this I'll just ask here. I think the foot pedal is just a rheostat, what would be an appropriate switch to use to give me the option of a manual speed control if I want to set the speed and leave it rather than the foot switch.

It is only a 1/15hp AC motor but I assume I should use something more robust than a household light dimmer switch. A lot of the dial type switches I see seem to be intended for DC.

FP4 new wires everything cleaned up.jpg

Try an image search on a PC using Google Images. Good for rounding up sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Edison connectors @Bi11Hudson recommended would be a good choice for your application since they are cheap and easily obtained.

The “dimmer” you’re looking for is called a variac. Here’s an inexpensive one from Vevor:

John

Back