Name for these electrical plugs?

You might try auto parts stores, farm supply stores, and marine equipment suppliers. I have used those connectors for many years . They come in polarized and non polarized versions.

I've tried most of the local hardware stores, but didn't think about Tractor Supply, they might have something the hardware stores don't. Might be worth a drive to Ace as well, they tend to have some more oddball stuff.

Closest I've found are aircraft plugs but they are designed for one side being fixed into a panel. It is a Bodine motor, but they don't seem to offer a motor like this anymore or any support for them. Sewing machine / appliance is the closest and they still do offer similar connections but now mostly flat plastic connections that are disposable, not replicable (surprise surprise, throw it in the trash and buy a new one).

What would happen if you replaced both of those with a more common male & female receptacle? Aren’t they just conducting electricity?

Edit: this discussion discourages that idea!

If that won’t work, you could try *taking a picture head on*, and then doing a Google image search.

I think this would be an option, 120v on both sides so not the issue in the link where the other side was a low voltage application. Edde's idea of a twist lock would probably work to, there are some 2 prong twist locks. Aesthetically kind of clunky, like putting Super Swampers on a Jaguar but it should work if I can't find something closer to the existing.

The three prong plugs in the size are called a xlr plug used in the music industry and in battery power connections these days. They might offer in a two pin never checked.
XLR connectors are available in different configurations but I’ve never used one for ac line voltage.

John

The European electrical connectors are two pin, but smaller diameter pins, longer. I dunno if you want to change to something like that.... I guess I don't know what you're asking....

XLR connections are for balanced audio signal, not for line voltage.

I would guess the wires are as old as the connectors. Replace the wires and use new connectors. If it's all 110V AC, I would use standard NEMA 5-15 style connectors.

XLR connections are for balanced audio signal, not for line voltage.
There are many different applications, including some low voltage charging like on my dads scooter and 4 or 5 pin for clearcom headsets.

Wouldn’t want to run line voltage through one though.

John

You should avoid audio connectors, as mentioned above they don't handle line power very well. The connector should be rated for 150 volts or better. . . My older laptops have a 2 conductor power cable, the newer Dells have the third wire. They are recognised by some regulating authority. I don't know the exact size but they are 1/4 the size of normal line plugs. The best I can offer is to browse Allied Electronics, actually the great grand daddy of Radio Shack back in the early '60s.

I didn't look any further than page 6, there are many more. There is also listed a "fan connector" that is about the size of a lamp cord plug under the name 'Orion'. They are scattered around before and after the page given. There are many other sources that aren't "mainline" suppliers, serving some esoteric industries. As well as surplus houses, but they tend to be hit and miss one shots.

I would suggest building a 'normal' size distribution center somewhere on the backplane. With a duplex receptical where the shorting band is cut. That way, the lathe motor could plug into the speed control and a lamp into the other 'line power' plug. Way back when, I had a UniMat set up that way. Of course, the caps and plugs I used are 'outlawed' today. But the idea still serves.

If you need to keep the compact nature of the connector, try Digi-Key electronics for a 300V or 600V connector for above the rated current. If size doesn't matter use a UL listed domestic plug set.

Back