My VFD is having a stroke? (PM1440GT)

New motor did not resolve anything :(

Same weird cogging, not able to auto-tune.
I've double checked all settings on the VFD. All the same as always, as suspected, nothing was changed when it stopped working.

I guess that's the next thing to swap out.

@LVLAaron What is your carrier frequency set at? Have you tried to change it?

Haven't seen that before and I do not follow the intermittent motor continuity. I would do a factory reset on the VFD, and then reprogram it.

I "re-initialized" the VFD. I don't believe there is a "factory reset" option...

Double checked all settings... all where they should be and have been since day one. Still won't auto-tune.

New VFD showing up tomorrow... if that doesn't work I will be at a complete loss.

The VFD would normally show some kind of fault code. Sounds like motor is trying to single phase or getting a high frequency noise on frequency input if it's hunting. You should be able to see phase voltages, currents etc with software. You have any other VFD's running? Without line reactors or isolation transformers, VFD's reflect noise back on input lines but normally doesn't cause any issues.

If you have the multi-meter set on ohms you should be reading the winding resistance or infinity if they are open, 0 if shorted. Check lead to motor case and if it reads anything your getting a ground fault. Again the VFD would fault and display a code. Keep your fingers off the leads as often times a multi-meter can pick up the bodies internal resistance.

No fault codes. (I got some overvoltage type errors when I was freespinning the motor). I have a cheap EFI filter on the electrical going into the lathe. Voltage is 242 and even across both legs.

Where would I see the voltages and current info? I'm only familiar with Pro Drive Next and don't see anything in there.

No other VFD's running, ever. The only real electrical changes around here are some new transformers on the neighbors houses.

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with the software for monitoring either. I ASSumed that it would monitor those registers. Usually just modbus registers. Last software I was using was for servo on ELS and could monitor most parameters while it was running in realtime.

It is just possible that one of your IGBT transistors is buggered. Spinning up a lathe with chuck and work can put quite a strain on a VFD, and its output transistors.

Back