My VFD is having a stroke? (PM1440GT)

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
Been using the lathe a ton, did a hitachi VFD conversion.
Out in the shop today working along on a project, get to the last op, and it sounded like it had broken something in the gearbox. I stopped and pulled the lid off the main gearbox, everything looks fine, turning all the gears by hand it's all smooth. No missing teeth or parts floating around.

The motor is herky-jerking and not running smooth, which is what's giving me the "broken gears" sound, it's chattering back and forth. I've attached a slo-mo but it's hard to tell in the video what's going on. The machine is in low with the speed pot set to where the motor would be running at 60hz

The only thing I can think of doing is an "auto-tuning" in the VFD software.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I took the week off and have a lot of things to make!

Have any of the settings changed?
Have you powered the VFD off/on?

What happens if you change the frequency on the VFD?

Very odd. Doing the auto-tune can't hurt I suppose.

Is there a possibility that there's a loose connection? A lot of use may have vibrated something loose...
Maybe a loose pulley?

Take the belts off and check the motor with the VFD through the speed range and also try to apply some pressure on the pulley with a piece of wood and see if you feel any roughness. Try to turn the the headstock input pulley by hand and see if you feel any grinding or roughness.

Headstock

Motor with some wood.

Everything in the headstock feels like the day I got it. It's really hard to tell in video but the motor does some reversing jitters at the start and stop. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Also, when I auto-tune, the VFD gives a fail - The display shows "_ _ _ _|" - i press stop/esc on the VFD and the software comes up with parameters... I dont remember if that's normal or not.

Back