My VFD is having a stroke? (PM1440GT)

Continuity should not change with motor rotation, so most likely one of the windings is bad and it appears intermittent. It is not worth rewinding the stock motor given the costs these days. I would speak to PM/QMT first and then decide what your options are after that. There are a couple of Marathon Y541A listed on eBay that are the same as Jake P used, but requires a new motor mount and a number of other modifications to the cabinet and belt cover. Not a small undertaking and may need some welding to incorporate the hinge. The E470 you would need to shop around for pricing, but they are up ~25% from about a year ago. The "Y541A" is probably a better motor, but both require a lot of work to get them to fit.

That's actually a pretty clean install. No need to take the backsplash off to adjust the belt tension!
I thought the continuity thing was screwy. Sounds like I'm in luck with a PM motor. Don't know if they'll want the old one back but it'd be worth it to have a spare. I love spare parts.

off topic - what kind of sealant should I put on the headstock cover? gray permatex?

Me waiting for UPS to bring me my new motor and some treats for my dogs.

1657114371267.png

Back