My VFD is having a stroke? (PM1440GT)

Everything looks pretty smooth in the second vid.
I've never worked with a Hitatchi VFD so can't comment what's normal or not.

This is the auto-tune process. The motor barely turns and the VFD gives a failure... I press "stop" on the vfd and the software pops up with it's values, which match hitachi default... presumably because auto-tune failed.

22-07-04 16-43-24 8137.jpg

I have to wonder why autotune won't run. That seems like a good place to start.
Have you been in touch with wherever you bought the VFD?

If the motor longer will auto tune with the belts off than suggest a motor problem. You can also try to do the motor auto-tune statically and if that fails then the motor is probably bad.

If the motor longer will auto tune with the belts off than suggest a motor problem. You can also try to do the motor auto-tune statically and if that fails then the motor is probably bad.

Static tune also fails. :(

This would explain the chattery gears.

I guess I'll call PM tomorrow. :(

Yes, it appears the motor is bad, like one phase is not working correctly, and also explain that the Auto-tune does fails on both static and dynamic. Unfortunately there is no off the shelf replacement options. The Marathon E470 is about the only motor that fits in the space and requires a new motor mounting plate, there are various postings and designs in other threads. Jake was able to install a Marathon vector motor but was a particular short body version and the belt tension is set with a turn buckle attached to the cabinet. Overall the motor space and attachment on these lathes are very poorly designed. Just double check all the motor wire connections are tight.

Crap.

I'll double check all the connections and do some continuity tests...

U2
V2
W2
nana
U5
U1
Line 1
V1
V5
Line 2
W5
W1
Line 3

All wiring secure.
Above is a table of the motor wiring... I dont know much about 3 phase motors but it feels like I have a burnt winding.

Continuity test:
U1 to V1 = pass
V1 to W1 = fail
U1 to W1 = fail
W1 to W2 = pass
U5 to W5 = fail
W2 to V2 = fail

Looks like something is wrong with Mister W, yeah?

Is it worth cracking the motor open to see if it's something obvious?

To avoid $$$ it is worth a try to demount and check inside. Redoing all your connections would also be wise.

Back