My time has come..........surgery

Plus one on a Rigid. I've had one in my garage for 15 years and it still works a treat. I also have a small household vac I picked up when someone set it out for the garbage man. Comes in handy sometimes, and if it dies, oh well...

I am sure you know this,but a tip to prevent those long stringy chips, is to back the drill up quickly and momentarily and proceed again and doing this as often as you see the chip get too long...the more you do it the better.

BTW......still searching for the right one.....especially budgetwise but also functionality.

I am sure you know this,but a tip to prevent those long stringy chips, is to back the drill up quickly and momentarily and proceed again and doing this as often as you see the chip get too long...the more you do it the better.

BTW......still searching for the right one.....especially budgetwise but also functionality.
I agree with what you pointed out about lifting pressure off the bit to break the curl. If I am drilling 3/8" to 5/8" stock I go through in one shot. anything above 5/8" I with use the method you mentioned. I must say that I am not a fan of the method though. When I use it to brake the curls I feel it over heats and dulls the bit even with lubricant. Hope you find the vacuum that works best for needs. Thanks for the reply. Charlie.

Hey Michael, how's the leg doing?

I'm scheduled for Oct 23 to get my left one done. Tired of not being able to bend and barely put on a shoe. The pain isn't so bad as my mind has learned how to walk and not really tweak it too much. I just want to get back to as normal as I can and maybe have people quit asking me why I'm limping. The right one will eventually need it and there is diminished movement as well but it doesn't hurt. I'm hoping therapy after the surgery gets me more movement in the right leg as well.

I asked the Dr. to do them both as I'm 5'11" and change. I wanted him to give me an extra 1/2 an inch so I could be 6ft tall. He just laughed.

Hey Michael, how's the leg doing?
Hi @Jason812 I am doing good. My hip pain is basically non existant,but where the incision was made and a bit to the side of my left hip,the muscle is still giving me some grief. I am on my feet all day every day in my shop,so I moove alot,but I am pleading guilty to not doing my excercise as I should. After work I am just not feeling up to it and in the morning.....well I just don't wat to get up earlier. Ye ye excuses excuses,but it is wgat it is. My wife and I do go for walks after work as often as possible though.

But don't be lazy like me,when your surgary are done, keep up with the exercise as much as possible. I basically stopped when I started working again 7 or so weeks after my surgary.

Good luck to you and keep us up to date with your recovery. And I will hold my thumbs for the elusive 6' :D

Michael

By the way @Jason812 ,did your doctor discuss which method he will be using to do your hip replacement surgery? Posterior or the AMIS method? Mine was from the front of the leg (AMIS) and the recovery is much faster and no muscles are being cut.

My wife had hip replacement surgery at 45. The next day they had her walking down the hall with a walker, 3 days later no walker, 6 weeks later back to full time work.

I hope it goes well.

That's good to hear you're doing good. I was concerned with standing in front of the machines for hours at a time and I didn't ask about that. I have to go in a week before and I'll have more questions. My regular job is not very physical at times and I have a helper now so stuff can get pawned off on him.

I plan on doing my PT but we know how plans go sometimes.

The biggest thing the Dr's have conveyed to me is don't do dumb things. I think I can work on the dumb things but setting around isn't going to happen. He's worried about wearing down the ball and socket which are replaceable as long as I don't do dumb things. I'm thinking in 15-20 years if I wear it out, there will be improved techniques that won't make it such a big deal.

He didn't specify the name of the method but he's going in from the front or inside not cutting my butt cheek apart. There may not even be a night spent in the hospital. He said at my age (44), if I get the feeling back enough to pee, and feel like going home, he's not going to make me spend the night unless I want to.

Alloy, 3 days and no walker seems impressive.

That's good to hear you're doing good. I was concerned with standing in front of the machines for hours at a time and I didn't ask about that. I have to go in a week before and I'll have more questions. My regular job is not very physical at times and I have a helper now so stuff can get pawned off on him.

I plan on doing my PT but we know how plans go sometimes.

The biggest thing the Dr's have conveyed to me is don't do dumb things. I think I can work on the dumb things but setting around isn't going to happen. He's worried about wearing down the ball and socket which are replaceable as long as I don't do dumb things. I'm thinking in 15-20 years if I wear it out, there will be improved techniques that won't make it such a big deal.

He didn't specify the name of the method but he's going in from the front or inside not cutting my butt cheek apart. There may not even be a night spent in the hospital. He said at my age (44), if I get the feeling back enough to pee, and feel like going home, he's not going to make me spend the night unless I want to.

Alloy, 3 days and no walker seems impressive.
The "Dumb Things" as defined by most doctors are probably things you do on a regular basis without even thinking about it. Things like don't extend your leg in certain positions, don't cross your legs, don't bend over and twist at the hips, etc., etc., etc. Things like raising your foot and turning your leg to put on your socks are supposedly a no, no. I find myself in positions multiple times a day that would be considered dumb by the doctors' definitions, but in most cases it's the only way to get the job done. I've heard a few pops and groans over the years from replacement parts, but by in large I manage to go through the forbidden motions with little or no pain. Then again, I'm sure the 3 martini lunches and the extended happy hours might have an influence on the pain control.

Back