My time has come..........surgery

Hi, I have always considered my vacuum a tool. If you can try to go new and preferably a 5 gal. cap. wet/dry. When you do get one you'll wonder how you got along without it.
I am now seriously looking to get a vacuum,I got the OK from minister of finance/wife.

Except for the capacity,wet/dry and I think baggless should be in there,what other things are important to look at? Should it specify as an industrial vacuum or will your common household vacuum with the above metioned suffice?

I will appreciate any and all advise from our friends here.

Thank you
Michael.

I am now seriously looking to get a vacuum,I got the OK from minister of finance/wife.

Except for the capacity,wet/dry and I think baggless should be in there,what other things are important to look at? Should it specify as an industrial vacuum or will your common household vacuum with the above metioned suffice?

Thank you
Michael.
You need a vacuum with as large a diameter hose as you can find. Like over 60mm, at a minimum. The bigger, the better, since it won't clog up with swarf. If it's always clogging, you won't want to use it. I have a smaller diameter hose on my vacuum and the longer swarf can pack up in the hose. It's a pain to clear it, especially if it's near the middle of the hose. Also get a long enough hose. Eventually that canister gets heavy, so you don't want to drag it around if you don't have to. A longer hose helps as do nice rolling casters.

Most household vacuums have small diameter hoses. Industrial ones will have larger diameter hoses. A stainless canister is good, but not totally necessary.

Thank you
Michael.
Hello Michael, The vacuum I use was bought in 1986 from Sears its has a Craftsman nameplate and so far has been great (watch it conk-out after I post this). Its a 150 mph, 16 gal. wet/dry. It is not showing the amp., but claims 5.0 peak horse power. I hope others will suggest other models for other options to help in your choice. As far as a commercial vacuum I think it would be rather expensive. I would think you can manage nicely with a quality home/shop vacuum. Thanks for asking. Charlie.

You need a vacuum with as large a diameter hose as you can find. Like over 60mm, at a minimum. The bigger, the better, since it won't clog up with swarf. If it's always clogging, you won't want to use it. I have a smaller diameter hose on my vacuum and the longer swarf can pack up in the hose. It's a pain to clear it, especially if it's near the middle of the hose. Also get a long enough hose. Eventually that canister gets heavy, so you don't want to drag it around if you don't have to. A longer hose helps as do nice rolling casters.

Most household vacuums have small diameter hoses. Industrial ones will have larger diameter hoses. A stainless canister is good, but not totally necessary.
A point I neglected to mention. My Craftsman uses a 2 1/4" hose and has clogged when vacuuming long/large drill curls, It's fine for milling chips. With the long drill curls I hand remove them to avoid that first. Thanks WobblyHand.

A point I neglected to mention. My Craftsman uses a 2 1/4" hose and has clogged when vacuuming long/large drill curls, It's fine for milling chips. With the long drill curls I hand remove them to avoid that first. Thanks WobblyHand.
I've had my lathe generate big long chips along with drilling (on the lathe), which is why I mentioned it. Smaller diameter hoses clog a lot easier than the larger ones. Normal sized chips work with the lesser hoses - most of the time.

I have had this one for 5 years still going strong. The only thing I did was buy a reusable filter,( the original filter was paper) just blow it out with air then wash with garden hose.

Last edited:
I've had my lathe generate big long chips along with drilling (on the lathe), which is why I mentioned it. Smaller diameter hoses clog a lot easier than the larger ones. Normal sized chips work with the lesser hoses - most of the time.
Yes from my lathe also drilling Those I place into the lathe tray and empty them into a heavy duty garbage bag. Thanks.

I have had this one for 5 years still going strong. The only thing I did was buy a reusable filter,( the original filter was paper) just blow it out with air then was with garden hose.
Those have become very popular. If and when, I probably will end up with a Ridgid myself.

Back