My time has come..........surgery

@Jason812

Listen to your physio/recovery team!
Keep moving.
I wish you all the best in your recovery!

Also, feel free to keep us updated with your recovery here.
It will help others..... and that's what we are all here for!

Brian

Yes on experiences as my knee replacements aren’t far off.

@Jason812

Listen to your physio/recovery team!
Keep moving.
I wish you all the best in your recovery!

Also, feel free to keep us updated with your recovery here.
It will help others..... and that's what we are all here for!

Brian
Day -1. I normally go to sleep around midnight and get up around 630. Had a 615 show time for 830~900 start operation. Went to bed at 10 and was tired. Didn't think I was worried but I must have been as I didn't sleep very well.

Day 0- Get up at 445, shower get dressed, brush teeth, and make the hour drive to the hospital. Check in was quick. I probably didn't wait 5 minutes. Go back, get shaved, compression socks, and grippy socks put on. Numerous nurses come by to start IV, explain pain meds, and how the anesthesia will be administered. Then surgeon comes in, says hello and marks the hip to makes sure they do the left one. He then says a prayer, tells us bye and leaves. The anesthesiologist comes in and explains what he's going to do. The epidural was the one thing I was most worried about. The thought of a needle in your spine doesn't seem cool to me. He leaves and his nurse comes in a few minutes later and puts something in the IV. I'm guessing this is the start because as soon as that is finished, they tell me to kiss the wife goodbye it's go time. It was close to 900.

An operating room is nothing like on TV. It was a large room to me looked more like a shop than what I expected. Anesthesiologist set me on the edge of the bed and did his thing. I worried about nothing as the epidural was uneventful. He checked me for numbness below my belly button then the staff laid me down and moved me to another table. That's the last thing I remembered. No counting no questions just asleep. I was dreaming when they woke me up and told the nurses I wish they would have let me keep sleeping as that was the best sleep I've had in a long time. They checked my bladder and drained it. I'm glad they did this when 1 I couldn't feel and 2, really didn't have a care in the world.

It was kind of weird looking at my feet and not being able to feel or move them. At this point there was no pain and I still wanted to go back to that awesome nap. After about 30 minutes I could wiggle the toes and that's when some pain started. Wasn't terrible but about like before the surgery if I over did it. Got some pain meds and it started feeling better. About 1130 I go to a recovery room. The nurse puts my clothes on, makes me walk down the hall and try to pee. And I tried numerous times to pee until it happened around 1500. Before I peed, I did get nauseous but the nurse realized I have not had anything to eat. She gave a a sandwich and chips with some meds for nausea. Eat when you take pain meds.

Get home around 1700 make it to the chair and put on a baseball game. Good game, Arizona won. Then put on Rangers-Astros game. I was wore out and sore so I went to bed after the grand slam sealed the game. I could take 1 or 2 Oxy pills. I'm not a big pill popper so I was taking 1. This was a mistake. I hurt most of the night and didn't sleep well.

Day +1 - Get out of bed at 600 when the kids get up to go to school. Wife decides I should take 2 oxy instead of one after I tell her how I felt. I knew this would be the worst day and it was. The pain went from sharp stabbing to muscle soreness and bruise feeling in my femur. Nurse called to check on me and said I should not try to wean off the oxy so fast and keep taking 2. Got up walked around with the walker a few times. Took a nap or 2. Took a shower which was difficult getting in and out. Wife washed my lower half. Went to bed around 2200. Didn't sleep all thar well. Woke up around 430 and dealt with it to let my wife sleep. She got on to me for that.

Day+2 - Get out o bed at 600 again. Wife takes kids to school I take a nap. Leave for physical therapy at 1000. Therapy went well. My brain will not let me stand on the repaired leg. I cannot let go of the walker just standing on the left leg. Soreness is all muscle feeling and dull. Took another nap that afternoon. Now you should understand I never take naps. Not even as a kid did I take naps. I did more stretches and exercises in the evening. Daughter (9) says I look better and not tired looking. Took a shower. Was easier this time.

Last edited:
I will say I'm glad my wife works from home. It makes it easier. Also, you will find out how much she really cares for you when she has to be your nurse. I think this will probably make us closer.

Also, I'm 44 so I might heal faster than if I were older. My hip was shot according to the surgeon he said I definitely needed it fixed. Damage was from stupid stuff in my younger days. Not blood flow related that cause some to have a hip replaced.

I'm still waiting to go #2. It was another concern I had and it's fixing to be prune juice time. Coffee and stool softeners haven't done anything but I also haven't had the urge to go.

The pain meds are famous for causing constipation! If it's not one thing, it's another...

Day +3 - The #2 concern has rectumfied itself.

Slept better last night. Soreness is still more soft tissue feeling. Did more exercises. I'm working my right leg more as it's sore now too. Especially in the glutes from being used to getting in and out of the chair. No naps so far today. Inline at school with the wife to pick up the kids. Being stuck inside is going to be a test of the mind.

Get on top of your Constipation. Towards end of stage 4 cancer treatment I was hardheaded about taking medication for constipation. Had blockage hard as concrete. It hurt is a understatement Bloodied every fingernail trying to dig out. Started drinking medicine doc gave me to keep this from happening. Took about a day then couldn’t stop. Ruined all my pajamas.

Day +3.5 - the play on words may not have been as clever as I thought. #2 happened. So that's one less thing.

After going to town with the wife to pick the kids up from school I was beat. Had to take a nap. Cut the oxy back to 1 pill. Getting up and around is easier. Slept the best since the hip got replaced.

Back