My Heavy 10 Rebuild

So after a loooong time working on the house and not having the time (or desire at the end of the day) to get my lathe refurb done I've finally got the time. I started getting the headstock cleaned up, painted, and ready for reassembly. I never completed the spindle so doing that now. The small gear at the left-end of the spindle is giving me problems. I know it's pressed on (correct?) but she ain't budging. I've got a 2-arm puller I'm using but can't find anything that'll fit on top of the inner pipe inside that sleeve the gear is on. I'm thinking a 33mm socket but it'd be too tall (height wise) to get the puller arms down under the gear. Any suggestions?

I used a brass punch and just tap tap roll 180, tap tap roll 180, etc. etc. I just kinda walked it off. Reinstalled it the same way. It is a press fit but not very tight, there is also a key in the shaft, be careful not to loose it. By the time I would have figured out how to get a puller set up I could have tapped the thing off. LOL If the take up nut on yours is between the casting and the gear you can use it to get the gear started pushing it off until you get a little clearance to tap the gear off with a brass punch. Glad to see you workin on her again!
Greg

My take up nut was between the casting and the gear, so I did as Greg suggested. It seemed to work well, I think I also put a bit of heat on it with a propane torch. Also, the outboard end of my spindle had some paint on it, which I had to remove before the gear would come off.

Ill have an update of my own progress later today. I have made quite a bit, an there won't be any more for a while. I leave for PA tomorrow.

-Cody

Well i said it was going to be a while before i could post photos of more progress, just didn't think it would be this long.

Getting ready to move across the country, have a baby, sell a house, buy a house, and start a new job! Been a little busy...

Haven't made any progress over the last couple of months, being on the opposite side of the country from my shop, but I realized i had not posted the photos of the progress that I had made before i left!

So without further a-do.

Photo Aug 23, 12 34 44 AM copy.jpg

Photo Aug 24, 9 40 34 PM copy.jpg

Photo Aug 24, 9 40 42 PM copy.jpg

Photo Aug 25, 12 36 21 AM copy.jpg

I'll be back in Vegas in about a week, though i wont have time to do much, ill be having a baby and packing!

-Cody

Photo Aug 23, 12 34 44 AM copy.jpg Photo Aug 24, 9 40 34 PM copy.jpg Photo Aug 24, 9 40 42 PM copy.jpg Photo Aug 25, 12 36 21 AM copy.jpg

Just a very small update.

I am still here...

And the lathe is in its new home! Not completely out of the crate yet, but its in its new home! Been a busy 6 months, moving across the country, starting a new job, and having a baby! But all is well!

You should hopefully be seeing actual progress soon-ish.

-Cody

Man, all at once?? Baby, move, relocation, new job?? I know you already said it before, but whenever you mention all this I remember myself 10 years ago.. Crazy crazy couple of years. You sound happy about it, and I wish you the best!

Bernie

That is my favorite model,and it looks fantastic.I will be following this for sure,looking good Cody

Well. it has been a long time since i have had time to hit the forums! All this time, moving across the country and settling in to my new life as a dad! Exciting, frustrating, sleepless, amazing life, being a father! And the Lathe is FINALLY out of the crate! well, sort of. At least i opened the crate! And amazingly, everything was exactly as i left it!

I am in a smaller space in the new house, so it will take me some time to finish unpacking and such, but i just want to let everyone know that i am alive!

Later,

-Cody

Welcome back,excited as well and congrats on the new addition to the family and new home----kroll

Back