My Heavy 10 Rebuild

I've been very interested in your rebuild since I have just recently bought a heavy 10 199z with a 3.5' bed. I am interested in how you removed the old paint and what kind you used to repaint, nice job by the way especially considering your situation.

I've been very interested in your rebuild since I have just recently bought a heavy 10 199z with a 3.5' bed. I am interested in how you removed the old paint and what kind you used to repaint, nice job by the way especially considering your situation.

My technique is nothing special, just a heaping helping of elbow grease. I used paint stripper, the good stuff that smells real bad, and burns if you get it on your skin. Of course I soaked most of the parts in simple green for a day or so before the crud would come off.

After they were clean and stripped, I wiped everything down with denatured alcohol, taped off machine surfaces, applied rust-oleum clean metal primer, set 24 hrs, then 2-3 coats of gloss smoke gray, in a rattle can for most of the small stuff. I'll use a spray gun for the larger pieces, and I toyed with the idea of having the really big pieces sandblasted, but the stripper works well, and is cheap, and on my schedule.

-Cody

Nice job you're doing. Did you ever make the shims for your spindle? I needed some for my heavy 9, so I bought brass shim stock, traced around an original shim, and then cut the shims out using scissors. I used a hole punch to cut the hole in the shim for the bolt. My bearing cap bolts are now tight and I have the proper clearance for the spindle.

My technique is nothing special, just a heaping helping of elbow grease. I used paint stripper, the good stuff that smells real bad, and burns if you get it on your skin. Of course I soaked most of the parts in simple green for a day or so before the crud would come off.

After they were clean and stripped, I wiped everything down with denatured alcohol, taped off machine surfaces, applied rust-oleum clean metal primer, set 24 hrs, then 2-3 coats of gloss smoke gray, in a rattle can for most of the small stuff. I'll use a spray gun for the larger pieces, and I toyed with the idea of having the really big pieces sandblasted, but the stripper works well, and is cheap, and on my schedule.

-Cody
You just used stripper then, did you have to use any filler for the pitting in the castings or didn't the pits show after stripping? It sounds like you sprayed all your paint and didnt brush any.

Cody, how's the lathe coming? I'm getting back around to finishing up my H10 restore and set-up after so many starts/stops. I know how it goes with finding the time to get all the things you -want- to do done.

My heavy 10 is real close to yours, it's a 199-z with the serial 118804 dww, jfp also on the ways like yours. looks like it was made in late 1941 from what I could gather, Keep up the good work, I wish I would be that far along on my cleaning and painting.

Hey guys,

To answer some of the questions:

I did make the shims, i had some 0.010 brass shim stock, and pulled out some of the original laminated shims.

I just used stripper so far, the castings so far are pretty clean, and i havent used any filler. Though, i haven't done any of the larger parts yet, and i am thinking about having some of them sandblasted, which may bring out some imperfections that require filler. But unless they are really deep, i probably wont fill them, I don't mind the look of castings. Everything so far has been rattle canned, and i am planning on spraying the rest of the parts, once they are clean.

I haven't re-started my process yet, hopefully now that it is warm, I will get started again.

Stay tuned.

-Cody

Cody, how's the lathe coming? I'm getting back around to finishing up my H10 restore and set-up after so many starts/stops. I know how it goes with finding the time to get all the things you -want- to do done.

WHOH Splat!

It's been a while... Glad to here you are still chipping away there!

Keep your eyes peeled for the NJ Machinists thread- we're going to attempt a get together next month sometime

Bernie

WHOH Splat! It's been a while... Glad to here you are still chipping away there! Keep your eyes peeled for the NJ Machinists thread- we're going to attempt a get together next month sometime

Bernie! Yes, I've had a lot on the proverbial table going on and finally now getting back to tuning up the lathe and hopefully get'er running. Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that thread. A gettogether'd be cool.

Back