My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

Now I'm trying to make a decision what to work on next, my camaro or my 55. The camaro just needs an engine change (and I have a new engine) and a tune on the computer for the bigger engine. The 55 needs everything from the ground up. 55 is a multi year project, but I'd trade the nova and the camaro for a good 55 any day. I guess if I was smart (I'm obviously not) I'd get rid of all this old iron and just put my money in the bank as I make it.

But I've never been accused of being smart.

nah man, enjoy it!
Enjoy the Nova for _at_least_ a few days before moving on. get your alignment and cruise around a bit.

.....and of course we would love to see pictures of both the camaro and the 55!

Brian

I don't have any pics I can find of the camaro, but this is what the 55 looked like when I bought it. I'd like to have a 2 dr post, but not easy to find so I settled for a long roof but it is a 2 door. I've been looking for them and the prices are crazy. I paid $2k for this about 15 years ago.

The quarter panel is my biggest worry on it. I can't do bodywork.

55side.JPG55frontend.JPG55hood.JPG
quarter2.jpg

Last edited:
Got an alignment appointment tomorrow in Centralia, WA. 44 miles one way. It's the only place I could get a Saturday appointment. I was turned down by several places because it's too old and has non stock front suspension, and lowered 2". I did talk to one guy in Castle Rock and he was by the hour at $120 per, said probably take 2 hours. Place I found is $95.

I did a Saturday so my wife could follow me up there. I don't trust the car yet, just too many things have been modified on it so nice to have someone with me just in case. Told her I would buy us lunch :p

Can't wait to put some miles on it. After the alignment I'll see if I can get an appointment at the muffler man also in Centralia to do the tail pipes.

@alloy

I was thinking that if I had such a car, until I developed full confidence, I would look into joining something that would provide emergency roadside service (towing). A years membership is probably less than one tow would cost.

By the way, I think the Washington State AAA is crap. I was a member n Southern California for many years. Always excellent service there. More than a 100 offices within 100 miles of Los Angeles.

Washington State AAA has two or three offices (a couple of years ago). When I asked the clerk for a copy of the terms of service (what do I get for my membership fee?) she was befuddled. No idea what I was talking about. A supervisor came out of her office and explained that I could find that information on line. WTF? What a scam. There's more to the story, but I'll leave it there.

I have Grundy insurance for classic cars and it was only $10 a year more for towing. $225 total.

Hopefully I won't have to use that part of the insurance.

But who knows, a loose connection, a bolt backing out, or the old guy that thinks he knows what he is doing trying to put all this mismatched stuff together could have screwed something up or forgot something completely.

I'm told ya gotta watch that guy. He's kind of shifty I hear tell.

Good to hear you've got the tow covered.

I have been watching that old guy. LOL

He seems like he's got it pretty well under control. Carry on.

Just got back from the alignment shop. Things went pretty well. They got it aligned in about a hour.

A few things to take care of. Main thing is a new battery. Sucks when you are at a shop and your battery is dead and you need a jump. Embarrassing :rolleyes:

My gas gauge is stuck on 1/4 of a tank even after putting 8 gallons it. Turn signals don't cancel after a turn. Blame that on the cheap Chinese steering column I have. Speedometer is 10mph fast, easy fix.

Steering seems heavy, won't return after a turn. I'm not sure if the steering box is being over pressured with the newer style pump. I can lower the pressure by putting shims in the bypass valve. I have the shims, I already put 2 in, can put 3 more in.

Trans shifts fine going up, but won't go from 6th to 5th going down. So i just go to 4th and then back up to 5th for now. Just put the trans back in last Sunday, not ready to pull it again just yet. I may be able to just pull the tail off it. 5th and 6th overdrive gears are in the tail housing section.

Got on it a couple of times, easily broke the tires loose in 2nd. The engine does not like to be lugged at all. Seems it's happy zone is about 3000 rpm.

Other than the dead battery I'm pretty happy about today. So many different parts from so many different vehicles. Surprising they work together at all.

Resized_20220514_112941.jpeg

20220514_151123.jpg

From what you wrote, I'm not sure the battery is bad. The battery started the engine at home, right. Then you drove it for 44 miles (mostly freeway) and it won't restart the car. I guess you could've gotten the last breath out the battery, but be sure to check the charging system.

Back