My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

No not able to find the dimensions yet. I've tried several searches using different phrases, but nothing yet. I have an extra front plate on the tranny I use as a test stand for my speedometer conversions. I may be able to use it. Clamp it down on my mill table and dial the holes in. I've got some plate, but not a large enough piece to make this I don't think. I just found the plate tonight after I got back from welding class and haven't measured to see how big of a material blank I would need.

On a positive note I did my best weld tonight in class. The instructor said she liked the consistency, but needed to add more filler rod to it and told me how to prevent the fish eye at the end of the pass. My biggest problem is that I get tired quickly, and the 20% loss of sensitivity in my hand and lost some of control of my entire right arm and leg. I switched tonight to my left foot on the pedal and that helped a lot. I may even try using my left hand to hold the torch and fee with my right. I'll try that next week, maybe with my welder here.

I'd still like to get that stack of dimes look, and possibly in time I can. But mostly I want to be able to weld stuff together and it be strong and not have to drive 120 miles round trip to get something welded. Honestly I'd be happy if I can duplicate this one weld consistently, and run fairly straight welds in a line. Now it looks like a drunk guy trying to weld. I guess you could say it's "modern art" welding. After all it is a "metal arts" class :rolleyes:

20220422_182012.jpg

Last edited:
Might be a little short on heat? I'm just learning, but I'm starting to learn about walking the puddle. When I get a horse shoe I add filler. I could be full of s h i t too... :)

Well I'm positive I'm full of it also.

Thanks for the compliment. All this keeps me off the couch and away from netflix, but I do find stuff on youtube. I guess you could say I'm a youtube machinist and mechanic. I've found some real gems on there.

I think I'd wither away pretty quickly if I didn't have my shop and projects.

If I don't have something to do, I invent something.

I've found a 12" x 12" piece of 1/4" aluminum plate on ebay for $32 shipped. I'm thinking of making the bell housing alignment plate.

I'll need to circular interpolate the center hole for the indicator so sweep to check alignment. I don't have a boring head to finish the hole.

I'm just wondering will my 19 year old fadal can produce a round enough hole to be of any use in dialing the bell housing in? Or will I be wasting my time with this.

I'm just wondering will my 19 year old fadal can produce a round enough hole to be of any use in dialing the bell housing in? Or will I be wasting my time with this.
Cut a test pocket :) My mill is always 0.001 big when measured across the 10:00 - 4:00 diagonal, my Haas is a bit off also. But as I recall, your Shizuoka is dead on. I have a boring head you can borrow also, or you can use my mill.

The question I have is: Where is the center relative to the transmission mount holes? Maybe this drawing https://theamcforum.com/forum/390-to-t56-issues_topic102055_page3.html Scroll down about half the page.

I knew it, you always find stuff in a heartbeat when I search for it for days. I tried every set of keywords I could think of. :bang head:

Anyway thank you so much for finding it. You just made it much easier.

I'm assuming the center of the drawing is the input shaft location. I just drew it up in mastercam and it looks right.

I guess can take a test cut of the center circle undersized and put an indicator on it and see what it looks like. There is no set diameter of the center hole, just large enough to get a dial indicator in it.

Last edited:
Got the LS7 clutch in today. It's nice. I've have been looking at the pilot bushing and my input shaft went less than half way into it. I was going to put a roller pilot in it and it actually came in, but if I use it the snout of the input would also only go half way and I'm afraid that would break the rollers. So I ordered and extended stepped bushing that's 1/4" longer. The extended bushing is supposed to be in this weekend. I may be able to work on it, depends on how much I get done before then.

Hopefully this fixes the problem. I'd thought about the putting the old clutch back in, but nothing has changed and more than likely I'd still have the same problem.
20220427_134319.jpg
20220427_134245.jpg20220427_134356.jpg

Back