MLA A-11 Cross Slide

Thank you! Really happy with Andy's casting. A very worthwhile mod for the lathe.

I spoke with him prior to purchasing the casting years ago. Super nice guy, very helpful!

You've done a great job on the build and I can see how that combined with the tool post may provide some further rigidity. Now this is coming from a guy with a mill and similar lathe, but I don't think I could give up my compound. How do you accurately change positions along the bed length? External dial? Stops? I was looking at mine and it looks difficult to get a functioning compound on top such a cross slide and still have a viable tool post height. Now if the lathe was the only machine I had in the shop it would add a great deal of utility at some sacrifice of it's function as a lathe....which of course can be restored in pretty short order.

Best,
Kelly

Thanks Kelly, good questions. I'll be using the DRO to monitor accurate moves in both X and Z. The DRO is another reason I decided to ditch the compound. With the fixed tool post, once tool position is stored in memory, its position is known in an instant and very repeatable. Tough to do, with a compound in the mix. The height of the tool post with this setup, is essentially the same height as the factory cross slide/compound combo. I made a nub that screws to the T-slot, that allows me to put the compound on the MLA cross slide if need be. For my needs there just aren't any downsides that I can see.

A friend graciously surface ground the critical surfaces of the cross slide and tool post mount over the weekend, coupled with some pointers, which are always welcome and appreciated. Lucky to have friends who are very skilled, professional machinists. I then draw filed and sanded away the tool marks from the non critical surfaces. Cross slide operation is very smooth now. Also installed a 2-axis DRO. Scales are 5um Acu-Rite ebay scores, as is the Jenix display, which works great. All that's left to do is make a plug disc to cover the cross feed nut mounting/lock screws, and start storing tools in the DRO memory. Very pleased with the results, and performance of the MLA kit.

Attachments

• IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7964.JPG
    IMG_7964.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
That ground finish is the frosting on the cake. Beautiful!

Nicely finished. Nice score on the DRO too. I took a spin back through the thread which prompted a few questions for you.
  1. What are the T-Slot dimensions?
  2. I notice one gib screw backed off in the picture. Is there going to be a lock?
  3. Would there be a way to install the oilers somewhere other than the machine surface? With cross drilled passages maybe? I presume they were installed low enough they were non-issues for the surface grind.
  4. Curious about the mounting provisions for the lead screw nut. Full travel dictates location so not many (good) choices about mounting through the machine surface there but can you elaborate on this feature.
IMG_7962.JPG

Sorry for all the Qs......must sound like a guy that wants one

Best,
Kelly

Great questions, I’ll address them when I get home from work, or possibly at lunch if there’s time.

Back