MLA A-11 Cross Slide

Nicely finished. Nice score on the DRO too. I took a spin back through the thread which prompted a few questions for you.
Thanks!
  1. What are the T-Slot dimensions?
The slots are 5/8" wide in the "T" and 3/8" in the slot, and take standard size T-nuts for 5/16"-18 fasteners.
  1. I notice one gib screw backed off in the picture. Is there going to be a lock?
Yes exactly. Still need to make a lever for it, or just run a pin through the head of it, so it can be used without tools.
  1. Would there be a way to install the oilers somewhere other than the machine surface? With cross drilled passages maybe? I presume they were installed low enough they were non-issues for the surface grind.
Yes you could do it from the side, but I was tool blocked by the DRO scale, and decided to do it from above. I didn't permanently install them until after the grind. They are just a snug slip fit, and held in with some sleeve retaining compound.
  1. Curious about the mounting provisions for the lead screw nut. Full travel dictates location so not many (good) choices about mounting through the machine surface there but can you elaborate on this feature.
Didn't have much choice on it. Basically located exactly where the factory nut was, relative to the screw support bushing in the carriage. The screw is then drilled through(as is the nut), and when I make the cover/plug, it will have a ball oiler in it as well, so the nut can be oiled easily.
View attachment 353004

Sorry for all the Qs......must sound like a guy that wants one
Good questions!
Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
Having used my lathe for a while now, I think I'd really benefit from a little more rigidity; operations like parting, knurling, threading, profiles, etc. So Jeff, you inspired me and, and given the general limitations of the machine, the lowest hanging fruit seemed to be the content of this thread. I was going to cast my own A-11-like cross slide, but after speaking to Andy, he was such a nice guy and the price so reasonable, I just bought the A-11 kit. I still plan to cast some other iron accessories for the lathe, but I'll immediately incorporate a solid/rigid tool post for both front and rear mount, and suspect I'll be making some mods to my compound too. Two questions Jeff:

• Do you recall what overall height you finished the A-11?
  • ...and corollary question, the depth to the bottom of the t-slot?

I'll post up on the project in the future.

Best,
Kelly

Having used my lathe for a while now, I think I'd really benefit from a little more rigidity; operations like parting, knurling, threading, profiles, etc. So Jeff, you inspired me and, and given the general limitations of the machine, the lowest hanging fruit seemed to be the content of this thread. I was going to cast my own A-11-like cross slide, but after speaking to Andy, he was such a nice guy and the price so reasonable, I just bought the A-11 kit. I still plan to cast some other iron accessories for the lathe, but I'll immediately incorporate a solid/rigid tool post for both front and rear mount, and suspect I'll be making some mods to my compound too. Two questions Jeff:

• Do you recall what overall height you finished the A-11?
  • ...and corollary question, the depth to the bottom of the t-slot?

I'll post up on the project in the future.

Best,
Kelly
Hi Kelly,

I think you'll really like what the A-11( and solid tool post ) does for your lathe. And yes, Andy is a super nice guy. Great quality product, at a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to measure my A-11, for a week or so, due to work. Will post it up, as soon as I can. I want to say I finished mine at 1.10", as I wanted it to be as thick as possible. I think an even 1" is the norm. I'll have to measure the T-slots, as I don't even have a guess.

Look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Regards,

Jeff

Unfortunately, I won't be able to measure my A-11, for a week or so, due to work. Will post it up, as soon as I can. I want to say I finished mine at 1.10", as I wanted it to be as thick as possible. I think an even 1" is the norm. I'll have to measure the T-slots, as I don't even have a guess.
No worries. I'll know soon enough when I receive it from Andy. The raw casting is supposed to be 1.25" thick and I can see ~1/8" can come off the bottom. Then it's just a matter what it takes to clean up the top. I'd like to be able to continue to use the original compound with up to 1/2" cutter, but I have an AXA tool post and there is only about 1/4" under the tool holder when centered on the turning axis. It doesn't make any sense to add the A-11 cross slide for rigidity and then skinny it up to accommodate compound height, so I won't be doing that.

If you just make the wedge disc, secure it to the t-slot, and allow the compound to land on the cross slide surface, there is room, but you lose the degree graduations and you'd be limited to at most a single 3/8" bolt to mount it. I could make a protractor disc out of thin gauge sheet to sit under the compound but I rarely set it at anything other than 30 degrees and that could be set with a hand held protractor so probably not worth the hassle.

I saw this post from another forum member here (sorry forgot who). I had an acquaintance with a broken cross slide, and he offered to give it to me, and I grabbed it thinking of this.

Atlas table 010x.jpg

Problem is it speaks for another 1/4" of height. I'm thinking I could easily remake the top slide of the compound, eliminate the slot for the tool post nut, thread the tool post stud directly into the top slide, and just mount AXA directly on the stud and pick up the required height difference. Maybe the member who did the deed above can comment.

The rigid tool posts are no problem since they can be made any height to suit. In time, I have a few other accessories in mind.

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
kcoffield said:

1. I notice one gib screw backed off in the picture. Is there going to be a lock?
Yes exactly. Still need to make a lever for it, or just run a pin through the head of it, so it can be used without tools.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I will add (although some may think it too pricey) that both the Atlas 6" and the 10"/12" milling attachments come with some gib screws ahd lock nuts and with a lock that already has the cross-drilled hole with groove pin installed for tightening/loosening. Part #'s are M6-508 for 6" and 9-508 for all of the other sizes.

A option if you have a 12" lathe is a 10" lathe compound
Great suggestion. I hadn't even thought about the 10" compound.

I was also eyeing up Ray's/iron man's work here.

Best,
Kelly

No worries. I'll know soon enough when I receive it from Andy. The raw casting is supposed to be 1.25" thick and I can see ~1/8" can come off the bottom. Then it's just a matter what it takes to clean up the top. I'd like to be able to continue to use the original compound with up to 1/2" cutter, but I have an AXA tool post and there is only about 1/4" under the tool holder when centered on the turning axis. It doesn't make any sense to add the A-11 cross slide for rigidity and then skinny it up to accommodate compound height, so I won't be doing that.

If you just make the wedge disc, secure it to the t-slot, and allow the compound to land on the cross slide surface, there is room, but you lose the degree graduations and you'd be limited to at most a single 3/8" bolt to mount it. I could make a protractor disc out of thin gauge sheet to sit under the compound but I rarely set it at anything other than 30 degrees and that could be set with a hand held protractor so probably not worth the hassle.

I saw this post from another forum member here (sorry forgot who). I had an acquaintance with a broken cross slide, and he offered to give it to me, and I grabbed it thinking of this.

View attachment 359501

Problem is it speaks for another 1/4" of height. I'm thinking I could easily remake the top slide of the compound, eliminate the slot for the tool post nut, thread the tool post stud directly into the top slide, and just mount AXA directly on the stud and pick up the required height difference. Maybe the member who did the deed above can comment.

The rigid tool posts are no problem since they can be made any height to suit. In time, I have a few other accessories in mind.

Best,
Kelly
I use an Aloris AXA w/1/2" tools as well. For using the compound, I'm presently using the small nub held down with just one bolt. I don't mind the degree graduations being gone, as I generally set mine with an angle block, but I do mind the single screw mount. I like the idea of using a 10" compound to allow for a more substantial base. Thanks for posting that Rob! Also, great idea on the gib lock wa5cab!

Back