MLA A-11 Cross Slide

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In an effort to add a bit more rigidity to my 12" Craftsman, I ordered the A-11 casting kit from https://mlatoolbox.com/A-11.html. Quality looks to be very nice, and at a reasonable price. This will play out as time allows, so don't expect a fast moving thread!

After getting my Lagun FTV-1 up and running, I thought I'd put it to use on the A-11 kit. Today was just a roughing in operation. Crudely trued up the casting, removing as little material as possible. Not done to any dimension yet. Plan is to remove the skin from the casting and let it sit for while. Then will rough out the T-slots with a 3/8" end mill, followed by the T-slot cutter. Then rough out the channel on the bottom, along with some initial cuts with the 1-3/8" 60 degree dovetail cutter. Then let it sit some more, before beginning to fine tune the outer dimensions, and the dovetails. Should be a fun, and hopefully useful project.

IMG_7728.JPG
IMG_7729.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7731.JPG
IMG_7732.JPG
IMG_7733.JPG

Watching.
Thanks for sharing this!

-brino

You're welcome. Went ahead and cut the T-slots as well. Took a while to come up with a spacing that would completely clean out all of the slots that were rough cast. Came up with 1.640". The slots were first cleaned out with a 3/8" roughing end mill, and then a pass with the T-slot cutter. So far, it seems to be staying pretty darn flat. I fully expected to see some really noticeable distortion after removing that much metal. Happy to see that. Will post up, whenever I get time to pick at it some more.

IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_7735.JPG

Out of curiosity, would you rather have had the t slots omitted from the castings? If I was casting that for myself, I doubt I'd bother with them in the casting. Actually sort surprised the casting was flat. Nice project.....tools making tools.

Best,
Kelly

I've pondered that myself, but have decided I do like them there. I plan to bolt my tool post to the slide, and eliminate the compound. Having multiple t-slots allows more mounting options. In addition, a backside tool post can be used, and when boring, the tool post can be shifted to the middle of the slide, rather than cranking the cross slide way over; which will maximize the dovetail contact area between the cross and the carriage. Should help beef things up a bit. Going try and fashion some sort of gib lock as well. The casting was surprisingly flat/straight. Took about .040" top and bottom to true it up. The sides took more, as they have "draft", which is to be expected. It's generously wide, and still close to a 1/4" wider than the factory slide. About as much thicker as well. Planning to preserve as much meat as possible, since the compound will be replaced with an adaptor plate of some sort.

Squared off the ends to the finished length of 11". In a holding pattern until a set of pin gages that are on order arrive. Will need them to measure the dovetails, and locate the hole for the cross feed nut. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for next weekend, and get back on it.
IMG_7737.JPG
tempImageqYXfdI.jpg

Started cleaning the shop, but lucked out and found some ground dowel pins perfectly sized to measure the dovetail spacing, and cross nut hole location. So much for shop cleanup! Made some good headway, and the tedious task of cutting the dovetails is complete. Fits really nicely with the factory gib, now I just need to fit a new full length version. Very pleased so far. Never cut dovetails before, so I proceeded very slowly.
IMG_7743.JPG
IMG_7745.JPG
IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_7748.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG

Milled the height and width to final dimension, and counterbored the hole for the cross feed nut. Still no warpage/distortion following material removal, and have yet to encounter even a hint of a void or flaw. Really impressed with the casting quality.

IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7763.JPG

Could you make the pics attachments, so that it does not take 5 min. to load 1 post ?

Could you make the pics attachments, so that it does not take 5 min. to load 1 post ?
Sure I'll see if I can figure that out. They load in a manner of seconds here. Are you on dial up?:)

Back