Might be moving Will need a shop

Talk about surprises. I think that this one takes the cake. In sorting out the phone lines today I went looking for which rooms had phone outlets. In one bedroom that I am going to use as a den there was a cover plate over an electrical box. No idea what was hidden in the box. Took off the cover to discovered 240 volt lines. A black, red and white. Who puts 240 volts in a bedroom? The wires are controlled by the 40 amp range/oven breaker.

Maybe a base board or wall heater? We had multiple 240v electric heaters in the house when we moved in, one in each bathroom and one in what we turned into the laundry room that began as an enclosed porch and eventually was made into a room. The fun of old houses, ours has had a hodge podge of improvements over 110 years.

Probably have to put it on wheels like everything else.
This is what has saved me. I have a bunch of stuff in two bays of a three bay outbuilding. Maybe it’s 2 and a third bays. The rule is, anything I do frequently, say daily, has to be directly accessible instantly. Anything I do occasionally, say weekly, I can roll one thing out of the way, and infrequent things, like a big woodworking project with table saw, miter saw, planer, jointer, sander, dust collector, glue table…I will take the car out and roll things around to get an efficient work flow.

This has worked pretty well, and reduces overhead and frustration a lot.

This is what has saved me. I have a bunch of stuff in two bays of a three bay outbuilding. Maybe it’s 2 and a third bays. The rule is, anything I do frequently, say daily, has to be directly accessible instantly. Anything I do occasionally, say weekly, I can roll one thing out of the way, and infrequent things, like a big woodworking project with table saw, miter saw, planer, jointer, sander, dust collector, glue table…I will take the car out and roll things around to get an efficient work flow.

This has worked pretty well, and reduces overhead and frustration a lot.
Keeping everything mobile and consolidating similar equipment and machines with their associated accessories and tooling into workstations has kept my Tetris style shop going. Being blessed with ample mild weather has been an absolute boon as I rely on being as outside as possible. I have to move our trikes and small stands etc into the driveway in order to get floor space. Which it sounds like Chuck is taking advantage of too. Being out in the sunshine and fresh air is impossible to beat.

Tomorrow I start on the shed. It will be 10' wide by 12' long. 6' from the back door of the garage to the shed. The 6' is required by building code so that I don't have to get a permit. There is an existing wood deck off the garage that I will be extending that will be the floor of the shed. The shed is mostly for storage. Won't have electricity to start with. Again to avoid having to get a permit. I will start post pictures tomorrow. Hope to have it done by next Thursday.

The dirty stuff will go in the shed. Bench grinder, belt sander, band saws, wood working stuff, etc. I will have to use extension cords. Haven't figured out how I will arrange the table saw and radial arm saw. I am thinking about having the table for the radial arm saw at the same height as the table saw. I am also thinking about putting the table saw on wheels since it will be taking up space in the middle of the shed.

The garage will house the lathe, mill and drill press for metal. Have started looking for a flat file like C-Bag just posted about. Don't have room for the all of the rolling cabinets that I have. And the main one with my machining stuff is bursting at the seams.

I look fwd to the shed build pix. My long range plans include building a good sized shed to replace the 8x10 that came with our place. So I appreciate hearing and seeing what you make and the reasoning behind it. Is 10x12 the largest you go without a permit? After putting tin on the old tent covered shed I’d like to do something similar for the new shed. I already have some of the main structure. It would be similar to the same use you describe for your shed. Tablesaw, beadblast cab, scaffold and engineering materials (junk) etc. All on a big brick patio between the back of the house and the back fence.

120 sq ft is the largest shed you build without a permit. Can't have electrical either without a permit. Since I live in an HOA I have to be careful to follow the rules in case the HOA comes out to look at the shed.

If you need more space you can build more that one 120 sq ft shed. County requires the sheds to be at least 6' apart. I don't know if they can be connected by a roofed breezeway. I do not know if the County has a limit on the number of sheds you can have. In my HOA I am limited to 3 sheds with a maximum of 300 sq ft.

Time to get to work. Another scorcher today. High forecast to be 110 plus. Was 111 yesterday.

Another scorcher today. High forecast to be 110 plus. Was 111 yesterday.
That sux. The high here was 65 yesterday and will be the same today. After 56yrs of my life in that kind of heat then living here for the last 12yrs I have turned into a total temp wimp. Stay hydrated.

After I get the shed done I am going to the boat for a week in Morro Bay.
It hard to go back to the heat after that. We did that a couple of times when my mom was dying in Pismo and it was tough.

Didn't get as far as I hoped today before the heat drove me inside. Something always seems to get in the way. Like finishing installing the drip emitters for the front yard landscaping. No more hand watering. Yeah!!! And removing some supports along the edge of the deck. They were screwed on. How time consuming can it be to remove a dozen or so screws. Took forever to remove them. Got the new support for the edge of the existing deck installed and one of the corner support blocks in place. Wonder if I will get the rest of the support blocks and floor framing done tomorrow before it gets too hot to work.

IMG_4174.JPG IMG_4175.JPG

Back