Might be moving Will need a shop

I have a "temporary' shed in the front of my house that I plan on using for similar stuff. Need to make a good floor in there since it's just a bunch of different pallets with solid tops in there now. Where I work there are lots of plastic palates some of which have holes on the top. I'm thinking to level the dirt underneath and put them in there, then fill with small stone like the pervious driveways some folks use.

Also couldn't go back to the heat, or the cold for that matter....

John

I bought the radial arm saw new almost 40 years ago to remodel a previous home. It has served me well over the years and is an old friend that I can't part with.

Didn't get as far as I hoped today before the heat drove me inside. Something always seems to get in the way. Like finishing installing the drip emitters for the front yard landscaping. No more hand watering. Yeah!!! And removing some supports along the edge of the deck. They were screwed on. How time consuming can it be to remove a dozen or so screws. Took forever to remove them. Got the new support for the edge of the existing deck installed and one of the corner support blocks in place. Wonder if I will get the rest of the support blocks and floor framing done tomorrow before it gets too hot to work.

View attachment 414148 View attachment 414149
That is a fact of life for me doing any kind of home project. Everything takes 5x’s longer than I think it should.

I bought the radial arm saw new almost 40 years ago to remodel a previous home. It has served me well over the years and is an old friend that I can't part with.
I have that same attachment with my original Proto tool set. If feels like I’ve lost a family member when I lose one. I don’t have any big machines I’ve had that long luckily. But doing the kind of work you’re doing with the shed I would rather use the RAS than tablesaw.

This might be wacky, but would it be possible to use the table saw as a base for the radial arm saw?

When I was in high school and started working on cars my grandfather gave me an old set of snap on sockets to use. They were left over from a gas station that he had owned. When I graduated high school I asked as a graduation present if I could fill out all of the missing pieces from that socket set. My dad and I went into a Sears store and I filled a shopping full of every wrench and socket imaginable. I still have everyone of those tools except for a 3/8 drive 1/2" socket. The 1/2" socket fell into the bilge of my sailboat. Never could find it. I guess I still have it.

I am out of the ground as they say. Got all of the concrete supports and floor joists in today. Everything is square and mostly level. Had hoped to get the 2x6 fir subfloor installed. That didn't happen. I guess the last week of working my ass off finally caught with me. Barely got done what I did before I decided I had better call it quits for the day. Subfloor tomorrow and then off to buy lumber to frame the shed.

IMG_4176.JPG

Tomorrow I start on the shed. It will be 10' wide by 12' long. 6' from the back door of the garage to the shed. The 6' is required by building code so that I don't have to get a permit. There is an existing wood deck off the garage that I will be extending that will be the floor of the shed. The shed is mostly for storage. Won't have electricity to start with. Again to avoid having to get a permit. I will start post pictures tomorrow. Hope to have it done by next Thursday.

The dirty stuff will go in the shed. Bench grinder, belt sander, band saws, wood working stuff, etc. I will have to use extension cords. Haven't figured out how I will arrange the table saw and radial arm saw. I am thinking about having the table for the radial arm saw at the same height as the table saw. I am also thinking about putting the table saw on wheels since it will be taking up space in the middle of the shed.

The garage will house the lathe, mill and drill press for metal. Have started looking for a flat file like C-Bag just posted about. Don't have room for the all of the rolling cabinets that I have. And the main one with my machining stuff is bursting at the seams.

Regarding electrical hook-up, I have done the following, to power a "storage shed".
Wire up the shed as required for your convenience, including a load center (breakers), lights, switches and receptacles.
Power the load center via socket (such as below if, 30 Amps is sufficient) mounted on the exterior wall in a weatherproof enclosure.
Mount the female mate on your garage (also in a weatherproof enclosure) and use a extension cord between the two. If you need more than 30 Amps, I think you'll have to be more clever about the weatherproof enclosures and contents, but it's do able.

So it look like the garage has a door on the front and back, true? So it’s pass through? That’s handy if it is. Have you found out if you can have an awning between the shed and the garage?

My only way of coping with the stupid heat when living in the valley was living like a farmer, early to rise early to bed. Start about 5:30 and go to around 2 or 3 ideally but the last job they made us work until 5pm. Working in a huge 400’long building. Hotter inside than it was outside. I could drink 3-4gal water a day and never even pee.

Hang in there Chuck.

Back