Might be moving Will need a shop

The garage has roll up doors front and back. I think that I can put up an awning between the garage and shed. The HOA does have rules on awnings. Seems like they are mostly concerned about an awning in the front of the house. There will be a 6' high dog eared cedar fence between them. The roof line of the shed will be a close match to the roof line on the garage. It would be easy to put an awning between them.

I am not worried about electricity. The garage is only 6' from the shed. An extension cord will work to run whatever I might need to use. The garage has a 110 20 amp line for the plugs and there is a 50 amp 220 outlet at the front of the garage.

The walls are up and squared. Will put the siding and roof rafters on today. Might get the roof sheeting on tomorrow or Tuesday for sure. Then wait for HOA approval of the comp shingle color. That could take a couple of weeks. I will start moving stuff in once the roof sheeting is on.

IMG_4178.JPG

HOA's have to approve just about everything on the outside of your property. Living here was not my first choice. My kids wanted a place at the lake with all of its amenities. And it was well within my budget for a house. Talk about inflation. Home prices in this area have almost doubled in the last 2 to 3 years.

HOA's have to approve just about everything on the outside of your property. Living here was not my first choice. My kids wanted a place at the lake with all of its amenities. And it was well within my budget for a house. Talk about inflation. Home prices in this area have almost doubled in the last 2 to 3 years.
Our little silly house in Los Osos has tripled in 12yrs. The only way we were able to get in here was it was ‘09 and close to the bottom of the mkt. but I’m not joking, we only saw 2 houses at around the $300k and they were tear downs. Shady neighborhoods and a complete mess. Now those tear downs are $750 to $850k. INSANE. Makes no sense. I don’t see any of this as real but I am truly grateful to be out of the heat.

I was in Paso on Saturday morning to see some old school buddies for breakfast and got there at 9am. It was 70 when I walked in, when we came out at noon it was 100.

Occasionally I hear people ask “how does anyone afford a million dollar house?”. It’s simple, they sell their old place for $850K.

Occasionally I hear people ask “how does anyone afford a million dollar house?”. It’s simple, they sell their old place for $850K.
I'd laugh, but I'm constantly having to cool my wife's real estate jets when she starts in with that false logic. The whole thing is such a misnomer. How is this "real estate"? It is for the whales on WallSt. that are pumping, then harvesting when they cause it to crash. Rents have gone the same route as these robber baron's make the available places scarce. Rents are a house payment + now.

I'd laugh, but I'm constantly having to cool my wife's real estate jets when she starts in with that false logic. The whole thing is such a misnomer. How is this "real estate"? It is for the whales on WallSt. that are pumping, then harvesting when they cause it to crash. Rents have gone the same route as these robber baron's make the available places scarce. Rents are a house payment + now.
I retired back in November. The plan originally to sell our boat, buy a small place maybe with some land that I could have a shop and finish our life enjoying a bit of the country life as I started life. With everything going on right now, that dream seems to be fading. Been living on our boat since 2010 after 2008 took most everything. Now to sell it, we need to rent a place as you can't sell a boat while you are living on board. Prices of rentals is almost double what home payments are in this area.

So we are kind of on hold as we see what is going to happen and where we might be able to have our dream.

I got lucky on my new place. It was in bad shape and not lendable. I was a cash buyer and out bid the flippers. Costing me around $30K for materials to fix it up. I am doing everything myself. If I had to pay someone to fix it up I could not afford it.

I thought about moving back on my sailboat. I lived aboard from Jan. 2004 to Oct. 2014. I much prefer living on the boat to living on land. Still working on the siding.

I got lucky on my new place. It was in bad shape and not lendable. I was a cash buyer and out bid the flippers. Costing me around $30K for materials to fix it up. I am doing everything myself. If I had to pay someone to fix it up I could not afford it.
It is really luck and the ability to weigh all the variables. You are blessed you knew what you were looking at and how to fix it. I learned from the hard knocks of two previous houses and I knew this was going to be a slog here. My then girlfriend now wife had no clue having never bought a house except that we had the presence of mind to make a list of what we wanted. And even though it was a mess it still amazingly ticked all the boxes. Even though I sometimes refer to the place as My Millstone we just have not found anyplace better. SO loves to to go to open houses and she always comes back appreciating the Millstone. She has learned a bunch here because she saw what I did and was in on what repairs take in time and $$$.

Back