Might be moving Will need a shop

After trying to get some info from the county on a reroof permit for like a month I finally got a call back that I didn't need a permit to put new shingles over the old shingles. Ordered the new shingles last week and they got delivered on Monday. 57 bundles to roof the house, garage, covered patio and the shed. The only company that will load the shingles on the roof in my area wanted almost double Home Depot's price. Being frugal I ordered the shingles from HD. Carrying an entire bundle up on to the roof was not happening. Getting old is no fun. Each bundle has 20 to 22 shingles. Loading 6 to 8 shingles at a time wasn't bad. Loaded 20 bundles on Monday between the shed, garage and covered patio.

Started on the shed this morning. Got a little over half done before the shingles got too hot kneel on. Will finish either this evening or tomorrow.

Does California normally require a permit to replace your shingles? If you remove the old ones is permit needed?

The previous two reroof's where I put new shingles over the old shingles required building permits. One was in the City of San Clemente and the other was in Fresno County. Based on that I was expecting to need a building permit. I have no idea if other places in California would require a building permit.

Happily, I don't even need a building permit/inspection for the new shop. Only for septic tanks. I like this county.
same here. only permit I needed to build our house was from the county for the septic system. we are in an unincorporated area with wildlife preserve bordering two sides of our property and no rules or regulations. I should point out that this comes with its own issues. Someone bought some property from a neighbor and then cut all the trees down to put in a storage rental facility. I have never lived under an HOA and nothing I have heard encourages me to change that.

--- EDIT: just realized that my reply above was to a post almost a year old :rolleyes:

Does California normally require a permit to replace your shingles? If you remove the old ones is permit needed?

Varies by the city / county, rural counties generally being a bit more laid back on what needs a permit.

Got the shed roof on. Took 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Too dark for a picture. Will take one tomorrow morning. Will start on the garage tomorrow. Then the house next week. The house has a 6 in 12 pitch. It is a little slippery. My son-in-law's uncle is a roofer. He closed down his company a few years ago and now does small jobs here and there. I am going to get him to help on the house roof.

Back