Md to Toronto to Calgary to Md .

I was trying to calculate gas mileage for the trip but it lasted only 3 hours . The exchange rate and liters threw me a curve . Hit 2900 miles yesterday just cruising around and dropping off the U-Haul trailer . So I"m 10 minutes away from @Dabbler and we'll meet up one day this week .
Say hi from me too :)

I drove to Alaska on the Alaska highway a few years ago and saw my first roundabout in Whitehorse. For navigation, I used a Rand-Mcnally
road map guide. It was a great trip. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did. The George Black ferry took me across the Yukon river
on my way home, very interesting to watch the operator navigate the river!
Reminds me of a trip I took up thattaway in 1983.
Here is my rig in front of a glacier in the St. Elias mountains.

Attachments

• 2023-07-06_04_52_16.jpg
    2023-07-06_04_52_16.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 25
Any Northern lights at your latitude?
There is always a better chance the further north, but it varies so much! My buddy used his cell phone the other day, and is only a couple hours north of Toronto Ontario. About 44 degrees north.

993FA7F7-FA8C-4C34-B1AA-D4FFEBF926E3.jpeg
Here is one I took on July 1, 2012 same location.
DE8C419F-8D16-4113-85DE-952083B6CD85.jpeg

And another from my place near Buffalo NY In 2001 I believe.

969C965D-AD00-43AA-93AB-54DFCF028DF8.jpeg

It has been a little cloudy at night recently. We missed the best of the activity last week. Just about every night there is some aurora activity. Rain and clouds for 3 more days, then we get the post - Perseid auroras, a little more intense than normal summer nights.

Last edited:
Visited Banff , Emerald Lake and Yoho today . Went out hot and came back with numb hands ! Damn the weather changes fast here . o_O
How’s the smoke?
Washington and Oregon are really warm and smokey from all the fires. Canada and the US. Real bummer!!

How’s the smoke?
Plenty of it here Jeff . Walk outside it smells like an ash tray . We're heading up to Jasper in a while for the night . It was up in Banff a few days ago when we went .

There is always a better chance the further north, but it varies so much! My buddy used his cell phone the other day, and is only a couple hours north of Toronto Ontario. About 44 degrees north.

View attachment 457311
Here is one I took on July 1, 2012 same location.
View attachment 457313

And another from my place near Buffalo NY In 2001 I believe.

View attachment 457314
Wow! Here in southern Wisconsin, we're at 43º N and rarely see them. It doesn't help that we have trees to the north of the house blocking our view of the horizon.

Up until 1980, (when I moved away) we'd see the aurora many times in the year, and we were at 43º N as well.

Back