Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

Had to redo the ribbon cable routing, it had a twist in it that made life difficult. My goodness, feel like I have been hazed. That last bit was difficult and it really didn't need to be. If the Einsy had been rotated 90 degrees with the door opening to the rear it would have been much easier from a lighting and access point of view. The box could have stuck out just under the X axis stepper.

I had difficulty with lightning and just fitting hands and tools in place. Not to mention the mostly unlabeled cable ends. As a new user, do you think I am going to remember the proper name of the cable, when I'm not exactly sure what the function is?

Had to melt some filament over the slot of the only nut that was loose, the one that could destroy the controller. In the comments that was mentioned 2 years ago. The part is 3d printed, it could have been changed 23 months ago. All I had was the silver PLA, so that's what I used. Not pretty, but it's inside the box.

General observation, the human factors of the assembly process were awkward to perform and could use improvement. The tiny slightly blurry pictures in the manual didn't help. I did have to use the online manual, especially for the final wiring, it would have been disasterous to use the book.

I need to inspect the interconnect again, this time with more lighting.

Having convinced myself it was ok, I went for the smoke test. No smells of burning anything, which is a good sign! Failed the fan test due to a balky, hardened lube fan. SW said that the fans were swapped, but they weren't. Rebooted and passed the test. Now going through the bed calibration points with the sheet of paper. Thought I was dragging the head, but that was the paper inertia.

It works! However, I'm not really sure I've calibrated the z height correctly. But I did get the Prusa logo to print and it's mostly ok. Found the 3d printing handbook wasn't that clear. I didn't even know how the filament was supposed feed from the spool. Only place there was a picture was the front cover of the book.
PXL_20221112_225946418.jpgPXL_20221112_230007703.jpg

Congratulations!!!

I also had problems wiring the Einsy board, not too bad but it was pretty tight. Luckly, I had several portable lights that I was able to place in strategic locations that helped with the lighting.

Printed the Benchy. Came out ok, but there still is a bunch of fine fiber stringing with the silver PLA. Must not be quite set up right? Need to check the firmware and update it if necessary. Downloaded all the FW and SW. Haven't installed that.

Now I have to figure out Octopi. I have it set up on an RPI3, but I need to connect it to the printer and figure out how to fixture the webcam. Probably need to rig a light as well.

Ordered a Satin sheet which is better matched to PETG, and some linear bearings. Dang the shipping is pretty high...

Now I have to figure out Octopi. I have it set up on an RPI3, but I need to connect it to the printer and figure out how to fixture the webcam........
To connect the RPI to the printer you use a USB cable from Pi to your printers USB port. Supported USB cameras are plug and play.

Congrats on your progress. A heat gun can be used to get rid of most of the stringing. PETG strings much worse than PLA.

PETG and TPU can over-adhere to the smooth PEI, I use a thin mist of Aquanet unscented super-hold to protect the PEI. Easier to apply evenly than glue stick.

Octopi is up and running - connected to my printer. Finally got the webcam to connect - doesn't like being attached after boot, or something like that. A restart fixed that. Where do you guys mount your camera?

Here's Benchy.

Bow to stern: 60.5 mm <-- there's a tiny nubbin on the bow
Hull to stack: 48.5 mm <-- high, should be 48mm, could be first layer issues.
Beam width: 31.04 mm <-- pretty close

There seems to be an issue with the first layer. Looking at the bottom of the hull shows an issue. Think it is because the print head is not close enough. Am I on the right track?
PXL_20221113_155146590_cropped.jpg

On the camera thing, I'm still using a little tri pod. Last night because of the cold I placed a box over the printer and mounted the camera in it. I'm printing the mounts for a proper enclosure using PETG.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/cheap-simple-3d-printer-enclosure/…

Here are a couple photos of my temporary setups. And a screen shot of Octopi.

20221111_090018_copy_1134x2016_1.jpg

20221112_221649_copy_1134x2016.jpg

Screenshot_20221113-081243_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back