Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

On the camera thing, I'm still using a little tri pod. Last night because of the cold I placed a box over the printer and mounted the camera in it. I'm printing the mounts for a proper enclosure using PETG.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/cheap-simple-3d-printer-enclosure/…

Here are a couple photos of my temporary setups. And a screen shot of Octopi.

View attachment 426573
View attachment 426574

View attachment 426575
Did you mount a light in the box? Or does your camera have good night vision?

I mounted a light.

20221113_093856_copy_2016x1134.jpg

I just stuck the camera through the side of the box.

20221113_093924_copy_2016x1134.jpg

The large baking sheet I got from Amazon. I wanted a large chip tray for my lathe but they came in a package of two.

Baking Sheets Set of 2, HKJ Chef... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5QWD34?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

For the enclosure I'm only going to use one table and and cut a piece of OSB for the base. I'll have to come up with a modification for the power supply to mount it on the outside of the enclosure. I'm not sure how the camera is going to work, yet to be determined.

On the first layer, nozzle appears to be too high off the printbed. I do the Z calibration and lower it until there is moderate squish of the line it lays down, and then measure the thickness of the square it prints out at the end. It should correspond to the thickness the first layer is set to. As I recall it should be about 0.20mm for the standard Z cal. That's with the flat pei sticker magnetic sheet. A textured sheet test flag might need to be a bit thicker as the caliper measures the peak height of the textured imprint.

Last edited:
On the first layer, nozzle appears to be too high off the printbed. I do the Z calibration and lower it until there is moderate squish of the line it lays down, and then measure the thickness of the square it prints out at the end. It should correspond to the thickness the first layer is set to. As I recall it should be about 0.20mm for the standard Z cal. That's with the flat pei sticker magnetic sheet. A textured sheet test flag might need to be a bit thicker as the caliper measures the peak height of the textured imprint.
I have the smooth PEI sheet. The square was about 0.25mm thick, so I subtracted 0.05mm from the Z offset and ran it again. The line width does not appear to be uniform on the big zig zag. Of course, I don't know what it should look like, because I have seen nothing written about it, at least in any manuals I found. This is the frustrating part of the whole thing. I have no idea what it should look like, save for some blurred pictures from Prusa. The best photos I found were on All3dp and they were on Benchy. I will measure it again.

Have you had issues with the webcam starting? I did a server reboot and the webcam did not come up again. Seems to be "delicate".

I plugged in a webcam and it worked. Don't recall any issues. I would review the system logs for error messages.

You have probably seen this, but I think this is pretty good.

I have seen a YouTube of setting the Z height, but I can't find it now. I adjusted mine until when I removed the zig zag calibration the rectangle section came off in one piece.

You have probably seen this, but I think this is pretty good.

I have seen a YouTube of setting the Z height, but I can't find it now. I adjusted mine until when I removed the zig zag calibration the rectangle section came off in one piece.
I will check that out. The rectangle comes off in one piece, but the base of Benchy is not as shown in https://all3dp.com/2/benchy-troubleshooting-guide/

Back