Looking for 1/4-24 threaded rod

Victornet.com has 1/4-24 HSS dies. They also have 1/4-24 HSS taps. They are on their special-pitch dies and taps web pages.
I have a couple of 1/4-24 dies from them. Thanks... I just have not had good luck hand threading 3" of O1 tool steel... rough on the die and for me the end result is often wavy:(

Victornet.com has 1/4-24 HSS dies. They also have 1/4-24 HSS taps. They are on their special-pitch dies and taps web pages.
Be warned though: Victor is reeeeely slow when it comes to shipping. At least when shipping coast to coast.

Be warned though: Victor is reeeeely slow when it comes to shipping. At least when shipping coast to coast.
Yes, they have also been backordered on some of these usual threads for over a year... they just started getting some in recently

I have a couple of 1/4-24 dies from them. Thanks... I just have not had good luck hand threading 3" of O1 tool steel... rough on the die and for me the end result is often wavy:(
The problem might be inconsistencies in hand-turning the die. If you have a drill press it might be possible to chuck up a die holder to keep the die better lined up. Sort of the equivalent of a tap guide.

The problem might be inconsistencies in hand-turning the die. If you have a drill press it might be possible to chuck up a die holder to keep the die better lined up. Sort of the equivalent of a tap guide.
Hmmm... not sure how comfortable I am with that... I don't mind paying for someone to make the posts if I can find a source at a reasonable price ;)

To my knowledge not 1/4-24 thread though. That is a very uncommon thread
So sorry,
I found 1/4 - 28. Oops

I have read about folks starting the threads on their lathe then finishing the job by taking a pass with a die. The main idea is to provide a path for the die to follow.

Getting yourself a small lathe will open up opportunities to make other parts needed to restore old woodworking tools. But you may find the entry fee, so to speak, a bit daunting. If you go bargain-hunting on sites like ebay you could well end up with a machine that needs a lot of work to get it working right, plus support is usually nonexistent. Machines sold by vendors like Little Machine Shop, Grizzly and Micro-Mark will be more expensive but they're much better when it comes to supporting what they sell. I bought mine from Micro-Mark and have been happy with the decision.

Single point means cutting the threads on a lathe with a single point 60°cutter. It is not trivial in a long skinny application like this because the rod would have to be supported very near the point of cutting, i.e. a follower is going to be needed. Single point cutting requires several passes to complete the thread making this a very time consuming method.

It doesn't make sense that the post would need to be so much harder than the nuts that run on it. Brass is very soft by comparison, even if "hard" brass. I've handled hand planes for over 60 years and have yet to encounter one with worn out threads. I have encountered rust and corrosion under the nuts, but hardness will not "fix" that. Even mild steel will be harder than the cast iron it screws into at the bottom. I would rather ruin the post than bugger the relatively delicate threads in the sole.

Are there any examples of "worn" posts available? I would want to confirm his conclusion to be sure it is indeed worn and not corroded. Part of that show should include the nuts that wore it out...
DanK

Back