Looking for 1/4-24 threaded rod

Not sure what you mean by "single point". Do you mean ask/purchase each one as needed. As far as wear. II am just reacting to what was said on a video of the planes by the new owner of Union Mfg Co. He commented that he tended to see a lot of wear in the vertical post threads with the old X Unions that he has seen over the years. The arm that is lifted and dropped by adjusting the nuts is extending and retracting the iron/blade. If the screw cap is tight it could take a fair amount of force to move. Logically one should loosen the screw but... my planes that I refurb are going to others. I am not a machinist so I can't really argue whether the rod needs to be harder than mild steel...
I meant if you have a lathe and can set it up for 1/4-24 threading could you make the parts that way? Obviously if you don't have a lathe that won't be possible until you go out and get one :grin:

Just a guess, any worn parts on hand planes are probably from days gone by. If you sold one and somebody actually wore it out to the point where it needed replacement you could easily crank out a new one on your trusty metal lathe....

See where I'm going there.

You could also try asking this same question in our "can you make something for me" area.

But, getting a lathe and learning how to thread will ultimately be much more satisfying.

John

Shorter sections would fit in my oven. I am limited to 14X14X8 but I still think it would warp some. Being that you need smaller sections and it's not being used for high speed rotation a few thou maybe acceptable to you. I have some O1 rod that size. I might play around with it this weekend and see how it turns out with a 10" or so section.
Thanks, I imagine some gentile "minor" warp would be acceptable (preferably not perceptible in a 2-3" section)... I am not a machinist but have tried to hand thread rods a few inches long and always end up with waves which are not ideal. The post on the plane pictured was made at Union as a replacement rod... it was a quick and dirty job not really intended for resale. You may notice that there was a lot of chip out in the threads, which was unfortunate.

I meant if you have a lathe and can set it up for 1/4-24 threading could you make the parts that way? Obviously if you don't have a lathe that won't be possible until you go out and get one :grin:

Just a guess, any worn parts on hand planes are probably from days gone by. If you sold one and somebody actually wore it out to the point where it needed replacement you could easily crank out a new one on your trusty metal lathe....

See where I'm going there.

You could also try asking this same question in our "can you make something for me" area.

But, getting a lathe and learning how to thread will ultimately be much more satisfying.

John
Yes I suppose I should consider getting a small lathe.... At this point I have no experience in that world and it is a bit of a jump :)

a slight warp would be acceptable.
What size is the finished size, because no way would I want to turn 24", the part would move away from the tooling in the middle, especially being that hard.

Those do appear to be 2"-3" as your saying.
So why do they need to be cut in 24".
I would cut it in 4" sections so I can hold it, and thread the 2-3"s, then part it off. That's much more doable and cheaper to do than to try to do one long section.

How many shafts do you need? And do they really need to be hardened, I would think that O1 , 1144, 4140ht would do the trick. O1 in an unhardened state is pretty hard.

Have you considered a drill rod and a quality HSS 1/4-24 die?

I would consider one of the dies that you can tweak with a set screw so you can get the tension on your thumb nuts perfect for your application.

I would consider one of the dies that you can tweak with a set screw so you can get the tension on your thumb nuts perfect for your application.
I would not think a HSS die would last long... And drill rod is generally O1, so no diff in what is being said.

a slight warp would be acceptable.
What size is the finished size, because no way would I want to turn 24", the part would move away from the tooling in the middle, especially being that hard.

Those do appear to be 2"-3" as your saying.
So why do they need to be cut in 24".
I would cut it in 4" sections so I can hold it, and thread the 2-3"s, then part it off. That's much more doable and cheaper to do than to try to do one long section.

How many shafts do you need? And do they really need to be hardened, I would think that O1 , 1144, 4140ht would do the trick. O1 in an unhardened state is pretty hard.
I would need to check on the longest length from Union. (I will ask and see if I get a response) I don't need 24". I hadn't considered the difficulty that would be the case for a small shop. I assumed it would be cheaper than making a bunch of shorts. The more common threads one often finds seemed to be in those longer lengths. I was just going to cut off as needed. I refurbish these planes for others... I don't know how many I will need depends on how many are sent to me. These planes are not that common. I am guessing 10-15 would last me for a year or two. I have done probably four X planes in the last 6 months. Most of my work is with pre-war Stanleys. I think you are right about not hardening. I agree O1 is pretty hard. I am not familiar with the other steels 1144 and 4140ht, again I am a woodworker/plane refurber not a machinist.

I agree with woodchucker's reply. I have worn out a few HSS dies on O1

I would need to check on the longest length from Union. (I will ask and see if I get a response) I don't need 24". I hadn't considered the difficulty that would be the case for a small shop. I assumed it would be cheaper than making a bunch of shorts. The more common threads one often finds seemed to be in those longer lengths. I was just going to cut off as needed. I refurbish these planes for others... I don't know how many I will need depends on how many are sent to me. These planes are not that common. I am guessing 10-15 would last me for a year or two. I have done probably four X planes in the last 6 months. Most of my work is with pre-war Stanleys. I think you are right about not hardening. I agree O1 is pretty hard. I am not familiar with the other steels 1144 and 4140ht, again I am a woodworker/plane refurber not a machinist.
I am a WW too, and there are many here that are as well.

Union is back in business? Is that what you are saying? They made some very nice tools in the day. Not just WW, but metal as well. I have some of each.

Back