Looking for 1/4-24 threaded rod

mwebster51

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, I am looking for a couple of 24" long 1/4-24 threaded rods made of O1 tool steel. (the material needs to be tougher than mild steel since there will be some wear/pressure on the threads) Can anyone give me a source for this or be willing to make me a couple for a fee? Thanks

Hi guys, I am looking for a couple of 24" long 1/4-24 threaded rods made of O1 tool steel. (the material needs to be tougher than mild steel since there will be some wear/pressure on the threads) Can anyone give me a source for this or be willing to make me a couple for a fee? Thanks
I made something like this out of 3/8 for a guy but it was not made of tool steel. I don't have any way to anneal the tool steel then harden it back. I would be afraid of warping something that long and small diameter. Otherwise I could help you out.

Thanks for your reply... let me see what other responses I get. I have also asked a local machinist if he can do it... he hasn't gotten back to me. The threaded rods will eventually end up in smaller sections say less than 5 inches. I planned to cut off and clean up lengths as I needed them.

If the design requires threaded portions that will have wear areas it may be advisable to review the design.

Can you share pictures or a better description of what it's for and why a non-standard thread is required?

John

Beautiful work, can you single point what you need as it comes up? I find it hard to believe that'll have enough wear that you'll need to worry....

John

Thanks for your reply... let me see what other responses I get. I have also asked a local machinist if he can do it... he hasn't gotten back to me. The threaded rods will eventually end up in smaller sections say less than 5 inches. I planned to cut off and clean up lengths as I needed them.
Shorter sections would fit in my oven. I am limited to 14X14X8 but I still think it would warp some. Being that you need smaller sections and it's not being used for high speed rotation a few thou maybe acceptable to you. I have some O1 rod that size. I might play around with it this weekend and see how it turns out with a 10" or so section.

Beautiful work, can you single point what you need as it comes up? I find it hard to believe that'll have enough wear that you'll need to worry....

John
Not sure what you mean by "single point". Do you mean ask/purchase each one as needed. As far as wear. II am just reacting to what was said on a video of the planes by the new owner of Union Mfg Co. He commented that he tended to see a lot of wear in the vertical post threads with the old X Unions that he has seen over the years. The arm that is lifted and dropped by adjusting the nuts is extending and retracting the iron/blade. If the screw cap is tight it could take a fair amount of force to move. Logically one should loosen the screw but... my planes that I refurb are going to others. I am not a machinist so I can't really argue whether the rod needs to be harder than mild steel...

Back