Justifying a Larger Expensive Lathe?

7 miles...Thanks for the fix on my information. My dad was a Navy plot, and I could only learn to fly if he was the instructor( he instructed aerobatics at Pensacola). No available aircraft here, and CAP was OUT, they were Air Force, he wasn't having it. He taught me to scuba, he learned from UDT instructors, I got beat up, but passed. I was bored when I went for national certification, PFFFT, that's all you got. :)

Very true. At my age, I rarely buy hobby related stuff due to "need". Simple desire should be enough justification.
ShagDog, a year or so ago I was in a very similar situation and I was advised by one of the more senior members of this forum(I will protect his identity) that my “man parts would most certainly shrivel-up and fall off” if I did not have a lathe. So, of course, I immediately purchased a PM 1236-T, sub-model MIKEY. I had to, there were no choices to be made, it had to be done, so I would suggest you do the same before it’s too late.

ShagDog, a year or so ago I was in a very similar situation and I was advised by one of the more senior members of this forum(I will protect his identity) that my “man parts would most certainly shrivel-up and fall off” if I did not have a lathe. So, of course, I immediately purchased a PM 1236-T, sub-model MIKEY. I had to, there were no choices to be made, it had to be done, so I would suggest you do the same before it’s too late.

TK, we need to discuss the concept of protecting an identity.

Insofar as protecting your man parts, it's true. Having a lathe is important for their well being because as @higgite will tell you, it's science! :clown:

Brah, you don't throw the leader under the bus like that. Dave, or Will maybe, but wow...... :)

Life is short, even shorter if you are over 60, buy the lathe, we don't need justification.
On a wall hangs a million dollar painting, it doesn't do anything it just hangs and looks nice.

I joined this site in 2016 and bought a Sherline lathe a short time later. All I needed was that lathe, really that is it, well maybe also a mill but that was it...

Some how over the last 5 years I have become a home for wayward cast iron.

On a more serious note, lacking a specific need for a bigger lathe, I'd consider adding larger mill first. My Sherline mill still gets used, but where my Sherline lathe is usually my first choice for lathe work as long as it fits, I tend to go to the Clausing mill unless I'm doing something really small.

Back