Justifying a Larger Expensive Lathe?

Insurance spokesman..." take pic and sn of tool...keep in safe place for later claim as necessary." Coverage is part of personal items .

This is thread therapy-thanks ...too scroogy and conservative here. Been torturing myself for years about buying a big lathe. Not a project person, but a fixer. My splurge years ago was an HF round column mill/drill for $800. Roundly criticized, but useful to me.
MIndset? Only use it intermittently. Every time I enter my (big) shop , "now what would I say to see a $8K lathe sitting with a dust cover?" The advice of "patience" for a used has failed. My part of West coast does not contain so much and what I have found is used Asian lathes stuck with the $2500 number. But mostly a problem moving them to the shop . There is a void between rigging companies and CL furniture movers. So to date I have not visited a single CL listing. Got close after years of looking and was ready to check out a 13x40 when the guy called back and decided to keep.

So for me the new is the way largely because of shipping to residence. (I can roll it in once set down in driveway. ) Thus a main draw is the two major competitors shipping fees. I have pursued shipping information on other low ball prices . Some only cater to professionals which means ship to a depot for pickup. I got a quote from Fed Ex for shipment from a depot only 30 miles away of $600! Oh, and living in a heavily wooded area adjacent to wildfires now suggests contact with my friendly insurance company to obtain a quote. I will post results.
Most companies have reasonable shipping if you buy a new lathe. Eisen has "free" shipping and Precision Matthews has reasonable shipping fees of a few hundred dollars with lift gate upcharge of $49. Equipment is shipped all over the country every day. UPS and Fedex are probably two of the most expensive ones to call. I am using a local LTL company to pick up my new lathe at a shipping distribution center and deliver to my door 50 miles away. $150

As mentioned a few times, want is the only justification needed for a hobby. If it was a business you would have to consider ROI, but not for a hobby.

It's a hobby, just be grateful you're not into boats or planes....
Tried the hole in the water to throw money into.

I do have my private license, I am also very much into RC aircraft. Everything from micro to turbine powered.

You know,
After reading through these posts,
Life is short. If you want a lathe, get the lathe of your dreams.
Taking out a second or even a first is not to be scoffed at.
I think if I wasn't married and I was in my current financial position, I'd go buy a new Clausing 15"
Like the one in this web site.
Let's live a little :)

Thanks again for all the responses. I think I have narrowed my choices. Unfortunately, although I really wanted the 1236T, after considering the size and weight, I really don't think I can fit it in my garage shop or even get it in there due to the mass of it. Also, I cannot afford it right now.

So, I am thinking of a PM1022v instead. It appears to be the perfect size, weight and price point. By the way, the price is quite extravagant for me; but, I can "justify" it :big grin:. However, I also keep thinking of a South Bend 9a, if there is one to be found, where the ways are in very good condition. Not too many used lathes near me.

Probably better to start a new thread with other questions on which lathe.

I think if I wasn't married and I was in my current financial position, I'd go buy a new Clausing 15"

Well, for some lathes, and some women, it might be worth doing the math.

Just kidding, dear...see, it’s just a website for guys... mainly...umm...logging off now.

Back