Justifying a Larger Expensive Lathe?

As someone who owns a Bridgeport, and has never milled work that wouldn't fit on a mini mill, perhaps I'm not qualified to answer this question...

However, one thing that's easy to overlook is the larger amount of metal you can remove and the speed you can do it with. It's nice to have the ability to rough in with some deep cuts. Granted, sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.

That said, what you want to make does matter. And larger machines can mean larger more expensive tooling and accessories. I would never argue against a bigger machine, I think they might kick me out of the club if I did, but you can get a lot of tooling and stock for the cost....

Even that might be too much... MORE POWER! <grunting and ball scratching here> :grin:

Thanks for the responses. They helped me to see that my question was a little silly, and I just needed a slight awakening. My conclusion and justification is that since I really like machining with a lathe, I should just get the best I can afford, and that will fit in my shop space :) .
Your man card was in question, good thing I told them to hang on, lets see.... :grin:
If small gets you what you need done, that is fine too. It is what will make you happy that counts, we will still help you spend your money.:)

You only live once. Dive in to your passion & buy the (hopefully Taiwanese) machine that you are drooling over. When you get it, use it every chance you get & have fun.

I have had a lot of different hobbies, but I find working on a manual lathe to be something really special.

A big machine will make better small parts than a small machine can make a big part.....
Just like @Westerner mentioned above, you can make small parts on a big lathe but not the other way around.

The trick is having a good small lathe for smaller parts AND a bigger lathe for bigger parts. ;)

I think the rigidity, capacity and power of a larger lathe is a good thing BUT most larger lathes are limited by speed capability. Given that the vast majority of parts made on lathes are in the smaller size category, maybe 2" and under, speed becomes an issue, especially if you use carbide tooling. One of the key attractions of mid-sized lathes is that they are sized for smaller parts AND often go up into the 2000-2400 rpm range where you can optimize speed for carbide tools.

Everything is a trade off. For most hobby guys, I think a 11-13" lathe is going to be the sweet spot.

Back