Justifying a Larger Expensive Lathe?

Flying to accumulate hours is expensive, 5K hours if I'm not mistaken to start for a commercial rating.

Flying to accumulate hours is expensive, 5K hours if I'm not mistaken to start for a commercial rating.
No, that is not correct.
1200 hours for an ATP (Airline Transport Pilot rating).
Only 250 hours for a Commercial rating, which lets you charge for your services.
40 hours minimum for a Private Pilot although there are now some variations on that with Sport Pilot, etc.
Normal pilot path is Private, Instrument, Commercial and then Flight Instructor so you can build that all important time.

It is all about supply and demand. Before the Pandemic, there was getting to be a huge pilot shortage. I used to tell people not to get into aviation but right before the pandemic the hiring was crazy. Now I have a friend that is a Captain at United and it looks like he is going to be going backwards to First Officer.

My dad was a private pilot and home builder. Was expensive even back then.

Oh, I trained for my private pilot back in 1982. Had an old former WWII instructor pilot as my instructor. I loved that guy. He said he was done with teaching but after we met he took me "under his wing'. I soloed with 7 hours. Unfortunately, he passed away before he could see me make it to the top of my career. Every now and then I think about him..

I paid him $24 per hour for the plane, fuel and his instruction. :big grin:

Back