Justifying a Larger Expensive Lathe?

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
I have 2 Taig lathes, one with power feed, and I have a 1979 Taiwan 8x16 lathe that is a beast for it's size. Being a tool junkie, I am always lusting for something a little bigger that I might be able to fit in my small shop space; for example, something like a PM 1236T.

Here's the problem. I can't think of what use I would have for such a lathe. I have made a model engine, and am in process of making a second one. Most of the parts were made on the Taig lathe and Taig mill. On the larger lathe, I have made a tool post for it, and maybe a flywheel for one of the model engines. Most of my time on the larger lathe has been checking for and eliminating any taper, and practicing some threading, and just practicing in general.

I have no desire to make a business out of lathe work. I am retired and want to stay that way :). I keep telling myself that I may just need a bigger fancier lathe in the future for something that might come up that I need to repair or make :D. So, what I have now is certainly enough for my purposes. Yes, the old Taiwan lathe is a little worn; but, I like it. In fact, if I could find an identical one in better shape (like sitting in someone's storage with little use, I would jump on it)

So, I just wonder how I can justify an expensive lathe like the PM 1236T (not that I can afford it at this point; but, something to save for) or so lathe in my situation. I would appreciate all the justification I can get. For example, other than look at it and drool, what kinds of things would I make with it that I can't already make with the lathes I have? I don't think I can justify that kind of money for something that I will use the heck out of just practicing stuff in the first month or so, and then just admire it.

Please bring on the justification :).

I have an entire shop full of tools and thus far I’ve repaired two things for my neighbours and a half dozen things around the house.

Do I want a bigger lathe?
Of course I do! :D
Do I need one?
Not in the slightest...

How about this one ? Instead of always making small scrap parts , you could make much larger scrap parts ? Works for me ! :big grin:

Thanks for the responses. They helped me to see that my question was a little silly, and I just needed a slight awakening. My conclusion and justification is that since I really like machining with a lathe, I should just get the best I can afford, and that will fit in my shop space :) .

I bought a Grizzly 12x36 gunsmith lathe. G4003G. This lathe was so far above and beyond my skill level and my needs it was embarrassing. Fast forward 6 years and I can't imagine getting along with less. No matter what you get you grow into your capabilities until you are limited by them!

Justification... Bahahaha. We don't need no stinkin' justification.

You are asking the wrong crowd. I just went from a 10x22 lathe to a 14x40. I do have a few projects for it but in all seriousness, having the larger lathe opens up more possibilities. Just like @Westerner mentioned above, you can make small parts on a big lathe but not the other way around.

If you do decide to get a bigger lathe I would suggest a Taiwanese one vs. Chinese. Or maybe you are looking for old American iron, which is whole 'nother animal.

Back