Impossible Retaining Rings

David
I saw the 3 handled pliers, very neat, but I was referring to the shop made tool you spoke of in the first part of your message.
John.

John,
I hope to turn up one or two removers/ inserters for this type of clip once I get over the current flare up with my spinal problems. So far I have one partially done

What is the smallest tap & die set that you use?
I should have one of the smaller BA T&D sets but can't bend down enough to go rummaging through all my tool drawers.
When I used to repair photocopiers it got to be a PIA to take the clips off with pliers as like most folk are saying" Ping it's gone ..now is it inside the machine or not"
Putting them back on was usually done by turning up a 2 or 3" long cone / mandrel with a fine finish . Making it the same diameter as the bar the clip was to go on & give it a very slight counter sink at the major diameter end so it always sat well on the shaft , you simply put the clip on the cone , offered the cone up to the bar end and quickly slid the clip off the cone onto the bar , sometimes using a small piece of tube a bit bigger than the cones big end if you had to push the clip on a long way .

Final pictures
The exploded parts IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

Note the initial fit , the needle point was way too long & had to be cut back so that it was flat with the face of the jaws when it was fully screwed in . It was then given the 45 degree point in the lathe when it was removed from the tool , I turned the point rather than grind it as I wanted as smooth a operating face as possible .

I've just realised , this time round I've made my cone out of aluminium not steel as I've previously said . They work better in steel as they don't wear away so quick .
you can easily make a whole set of these expander s to suit all sizes of " G " clips .

I've not made any in brass as turning and drilling it at such small diameters is positively heroic if you don't bust the metal or the drills especially the smallest of the drills .

As you make bigger extractors the tube size increases . Sometimes you'll need to Locktite some plain nuts on the tube to act as a collar that you can grip with a spanner or pliers whilst using a small socket screwdriver or a socket & mini ratchet to turn the operating screw .

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

Last edited:
stuff like that i get a longer pin and put a collar on it

while we are on the subject of pliers...these are a must have for car fuses...and work great for some clips too

IMG_8167.JPG

My new Shars scissor type knurling tool arrived today.
The dies are held on shafts secured with very small retaining rings

View attachment 106687
DIN or JIS standard small rings, I deal with them often and most American made external retaining ring tools will not work well if at all. If you expect to change them often buy a DIN tool or use the closest inch size ring which will be either tight or loose, keeping knurls in the holder does not involve a good deal of side load.

Final pictures
The exploded parts IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

Note the initial fit , the needle point was way too long & had to be cut back so that it was flat with the face of the jaws when it was fully screwed in . It was then given the 45 degree point in the lathe when it was removed from the tool , I turned the point rather than grind it as I wanted as smooth a operating face as possible .

I've just realised , this time round I've made my cone out of aluminium not steel as I've previously said . They work better in steel as they don't wear away so quick .
you can easily make a whole set of these expander s to suit all sizes of " G " clips .

I've not made any in brass as turning and drilling it at such small diameters is positively heroic if you don't bust the metal or the drills especially the smallest of the drills .

As you make bigger extractors the tube size increases . Sometimes you'll need to Locktite some plain nuts on the tube to act as a collar that you can grip with a spanner or pliers whilst using a small socket screwdriver or a socket & mini ratchet to turn the operating screw .

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

Wow , handy, i like others hear have removed them via the bending beyond use or putting into low earth orbit method (palm face) they have turned up on a few brushless motors for radio control stuff.

Stuart

IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

IMG_6099_zpscild1mp8.jpg

IMG_6093_zpsllm1u1u7.jpg

came across these today at menards..4.99

IMG_8211.JPG

just a word of warning...i just came about 1/2" of going blind a second ago with the blue one...the spring popped right out and hit me in the eyebrow...^^%%$@#$$#^^%$%$..it is too long...

throw the long spring away first thing...

IMG_8223.JPG

but they do work ...aside from the spring in your eye thing..:black eye:

Back