Impossible Retaining Rings

Franko

Active User
Registered
My new Shars scissor type knurling tool arrived today.
The dies are held on shafts secured with very small retaining rings I've never seen before.
I have three different kinds of retaining ring pliers and none of them could get a grip.

Is there an actual way to get them off without breaking them?
How the heck does one install them?

I did manage to remove them by breaking them, and I did have a set of rings that included the same type ring in the right size. I did manage to install them, but it was almost impossible. There must be a right way.

I think they are called G-type retaining rings.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 9.42.21 PM.png

arrrgh! the impossible circlip...:cussing::cussing::cussing: they do their job a little too well it seems!

here's how i deal with them, i take a small regular flat bladed standard screwdriver that is slightly larger than the present clip's small end opening.
i take a dental type pick and the screwdriver and insert the screwdriver into the clips end as best i can to wedge one side.
then using the dental type pick i'll spring the clip open while applying tension downward on the screwdriver to catch the clip as i stretch it to fit the screwdriver blade. if you gauge the screwdriver size correctly you'll have sufficient gap to slide the circlip from its annulus.
should you not be lucky enough to not have it so well and it still wishes to trouble you, at that point with the screwdriver still inserted into the circlip, insert another screwdriver under the circlip you wish to remove, then twist the newly inserted screwdrivers handle to upset the rings diameter further as you are applying pressure to the first screwdriver downward.
the screwdrivers wedge will spread the clip for you, you're just there to work the nasty clip into submission!!!
good luck, i hope the tip helps someone out!:D

if you can find external snap rings in the correct shaft size, i would recommend their use.
unless, of course, you won't be taking the assembly apart frequently.

Last edited:
Have you thought about replacing them with spiral retaining rings?

RJ, that's all I thought about while I was suffering with them. I bet I can find some e-clips that will work. I think they are too small for ring clips.

arrrgh! the impossible circlip...:cussing::cussing::cussing: they do their job a little too well it seems!

That is close to how I did it, Mike. I clamped it in a vise and then worked them open with a small screwdriver and when it was pushed out enough that I could insert a very small screwdriver in the tiny gap I made on the back and pried it out from there.

I noticed you didn't mention how to put them back on. :)

I can answer that. Never again.

Any fool can tie a knot that will hold. The trick is to tie a knot that will hold and can be untied.

They're easy enough IF you have the right tool, I have a drawer full of circlip pliers...
Don't even consider buying the ones with interchangeable tips, I did to cut down on my travelling toolbox, first time I TRIED to use 'em....
Don't buy cheap, the heat-treatment is pretty critical (I've tried Chinese, they're usually either so soft the tips bend or so brittle they snap):-(

Franko,do you have enough room to drill and tap the scissor for a set screw to retain the shaft. I have a scissor type made by Rock Valley and that's the way they are designed. Should be simple enough, if the scissor is not too hard.

I just use a flat tip screwdriver and put it in the gap and then twist 90 degrees.

Roy

The last time I tried to remove a clip like that without the proper tool I nearly put out my left eye, I got lucky and only needed a few stitches.

Don't even consider buying the ones with interchangeable tips, I did to cut down on my travelling toolbox, first time I TRIED to use 'em....(

Too late, British Steel. I have several and actually they work pretty well for me.

What I was wanting to know is what kind of tool. I'm sure the proper tool works fine, but none that I've ever seen will fit in the little single split ring of this clip, other than very small needle nose pliers. Trouble with that is all the small needle nose I have are tapered and would not maintain purchase on the little hole. And, if they did the little tabs on the ring deform with enough pressure to open the clip, plus the awkwardness of the (2-handed) force required operating the pliers backwards.

Franko,do you have enough room to drill and tap the scissor for a set screw to retain the shaft. I have a scissor type made by Rock Valley and that's the way they are designed. Should be simple enough, if the scissor is not too hard.

Bob, a set screw isn't a bad idea. If I can't find the right size e-ring, I'll look into that.

Back