Impossible Retaining Rings

Franko, you are a mindreader. After reading David's text that was exactly what I envisaged. Seriously, a sketch or photo would go a long way to explain this tool which sounds as if it could be very handy.
John.

From the link that mikegt sent, you can read that these clips were not designed to fit in grooves:

Seeger grip rings are designed for the assembly on shafts without a groove. Thanks to their large radial width (b) and thickness (s), the large elasticity of these rings makes them suitable for absorbing high axial forces. Parts to be secured can be installed without end play and be re-adjusted by shifting the Seeger grip rings into place. This style of grip ring is the only self-locking Seeger-Ring that can be dismantled without destroying the ring.

Applications:
  • For shafts without grooves
  • For lever bearings
  • For locating pins
  • As "sliding rings" for automatic brake readjustment
So it would seem that these clips would normaly go straight on the shaft. If they are in a groove you would apply too much pressure on them to stretch them out of the groove and they would bend.

David, I studied your post carefully and drew a sketch of what I perceived you, with thoughtful great effort and thoroughness, described.
I think it's called a blivet or a poiuyt.

How close did I come? Does it look something like this?

View attachment 107077
I tried porting your sketch over to SolidWorks to make a solid model and SolidsWorks blew up!:laughing:

From the link that mikegt sent, you can read that these clips were not designed to fit in grooves:

Seeger grip rings are designed for the assembly on shafts without a groove. ...
So it would seem that these clips would normaly go straight on the shaft. If they are in a groove you would apply too much pressure on them to stretch them out of the groove and they would bend.

Now, that makes sense, Chips.

I tried porting your sketch over to SolidWorks to make a solid model and SolidsWorks blew up!:laughing:

Better SolidWorks than your mill, RJ. :)

My new Shars scissor type knurling tool arrived today.

I think they are called G-type retaining rings.

View attachment 106687

They are called Grip Rings and they do make pliers for them. From what I can tell they have the advantage of not requiring a grove on the shaft as retaining ring do.
2015-07-09_14-36-40.jpg

Franko, you are a mindreader. After reading David's text that was exactly what I envisaged. Seriously, a sketch or photo would go a long way to explain this tool which sounds as if it could be very handy.
John.

Click on the link in my other post it takes you to a tool shop click the picture and hey presto you get a look at the three legged circlip pliers and assorted tips
They are brilliant as a tool to use in one hand , squeezing the left hand and centre handle one way opens a circlip , squeeze the center and the right hand lever and it closes it up.

circlip%20plier%20three%20leg_zps1jlzgabz.png

Last edited:
David, I studied your post carefully and drew a sketch of what I perceived you, with thoughtful great effort and thoroughness, described.
I think it's called a blivet or a poiuyt.

How close did I come? Does it look something like this?

View attachment 107084

I had to draw that using the old draughtsmans board and gear donkey's years ago , computers were not a viable option at that time.

Ok, 3-legged pliers from Mars. Cool.

One of my three circlip pliers has a lever that switches them from internal to external operating.
Another has exchangeable heads and will convert from internal to external.

71Oapjyb4yL._SL1500_.jpg 81A4zijmL4L._SL1500_.jpg

Click on the link in my other post it takes you to a tool shop click the picture and hey presto you get a look at the three legged circlip pliers and assorted tips
They are brilliant as a tool to use in one hand , squeezing the left hand and centre handle one way opens a circlip , squeeze the center and the right hand lever and it closes it up.

circlip%20plier%20three%20leg_zps1jlzgabz.png
David
I saw the 3 handled pliers, very neat, but I was referring to the shop made tool you spoke of in the first part of your message.
John.

Those E clips are very easy to remove install and also loose. Those of us in the carburetor rebuilding shops used to call retaining pins "Jesus" Clips. Because that was part of the sentence they yelled out loud when it popped off and went flying. I use a Lisle Jesus clip tool that I've had since I was a teenager.View attachment 106748 View attachment 106749Works on small E clips too.
Great tool and I still have mine from 40 years ago that I purchased during my carburetor rebuilding days. Bob

Back