Impossible Retaining Rings

I tried that, Roy. The little half-rings just deformed and broke.
Must be some exotic steel. I used to have a pair of very small electronics needle nose that I ground down and left a small ridge on the tips. They worked good, but some rings still broke. I have an assortment of external and internal snap rings to replace them. If they are too small for that I usually go to the local hobby shop and look on the aircraft hardware section for them.

Roy, the little rings are very wimpy and the retaining ring itself is pretty beefy. They look like they were designed to fail.

This is the first time I've come across this type of ring. I'm not going to put up with them. E-rings are simple to operate and require nothing more than a proper size screwdriver to operate.

I'm going to the e-ring store this afternoon.

Franko, you have experienced the famous (or infamous) Seeger Grip Ring, as you noted also called a "G" ring. Pre-retirement I worked on a German designed machine loaded with them. Fortunately most of the Seegers that I used were on 2-4 mm shafts so I could remove them by wedging a small screwdriver in the notches. I had been told by my counterparts in our German facility that there are special tools just for removing and installing them, I didn't have any.
http://www.seeger-orbis.com/products/self-locking-seeger-rings/seeger-grip-rings/

Thanks, Mike. I figured there had to be a specific tool made for it. That answers my primary question.

I don't think any tool would operate these particular g clips. I found a small plier that would fit in the grooves, but enough pressure to open it ruined it.

broke g ring_0613.JPG

Fortunately, my stash of e-clips included some 5.5 mm clips. I don't think I bought a single one of these.
I've taken apart several printers for robot parts. I always save stuff I think might be useful.

e clip stash_0615.JPG

Here is the solution to the problem. An easy knot to tie and untie.
I've always called these Jeez clips, as in "Jeez! where'd it go?"

e clip_0614.JPG

Those E clips are very easy to remove install and also loose. Those of us in the carburetor rebuilding shops used to call retaining pins "Jesus" Clips. Because that was part of the sentence they yelled out loud when it popped off and went flying. I use a Lisle Jesus clip tool that I've had since I was a teenager.jesus clip.jpg jesus clip tool.jpgWorks on small E clips too.

Sandvik-Bahco are probably the best circlip pliers I've used, they do straight, bent x. Internal,external x several sizes x different tip shapes, including tips which are semicircle in section, ground so they close up together, and just right for the "Impossible Clip"...
Only about 100 of your US dollars a pair, you could easily spend a couple of thousand getting ALL the options, but there are cheaper brands (20-30 US a pair) which are usable too!

I used to have a set of retaining ring plires with interchangble tips made by robinair that had tips for that type rings. When closed thay looked like needle nose except the verry tips where streight. Those where the only interchangble tip plires that work great. Don't know what happend to them though. Will have to see if I can dig themout sme day.

Back