I'm offering cnc stepper motor wiring and mach3 setup help

Re: cnc stepper motor wiring and mach3 setup help

Hi Steve, I'm a new member and I seen your post offering help with wiring stepper motors. I hope your willing to help me because I need a lot of it. I finished the mechanical part of my router and started the electrical part and have been pulling my hair out since. I have a 4'x4'x8"
with 2- 892oz nema 34 motors to move the gantry(I'll call this "Y" axis) the "X" axis has 1- 892oz nema 34 motor, The "Z" axis has a nema 23 425oz motor and 1 - 892oz nema 34 motor for the fourth axis. I purchased a ETHERNET SMOOTH STEPPER because I wanted to run the router from a laptop. The reason for the smooth stepper was that they said windows 8 would not work with MACH3 without it. Since then I was told to get a desktop with windows 7 and a parallel port and bypass the smooth stepper which I did. I also purchased a different breakout board. I still have not seen 1 motor turn. If you can help I would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks, Jerry

I don't know anyone with a windows 7 pc running mach3 on a parallel port, did you install the parallel port? I use a uc100 usb controller on a windows xp pc. if you can email me at jumpscam@yahoo.com I will give you my phone number and we can go through what you have.
steve

Hi Steve. Well, I finally met someone with some basic American values. You said you would help and you sure came through for me. I had been looking for help with wiring my cnc router for nearly 6 months and you were the only person I found willing to help. Your knowledge and expertise were over the top and talk about patience...I had very little knowledge of what I was doing, but you walked me through it without even a sigh. I'm happy to say my motors are finally turning. Thanks again for all your help. You're one of a kind. I hope someday I can find a way to repay your honesty and integrity. Your friend, Jerry.

I am no expert by any means
but i would like to offer my help If you have a question or problem ask
two heads are better than one and i wont tell you what a mod in the mach3 forum told me " read the manual again "
so any questions drop me a message here
steve
Hi Steve, I am pulling my hair out and was wondering if you are still available for help? I have an older Industrial Apprentice 404 machine and attempted to hook up a triple edge finder. Well long story short I have ended up with so many issues and not sure where things fell apart. I found I needed to update the computer that is running this CNC due to an issue with the hard drive. So I have a new refurbished HP desk top with Windows 10, Mach3 and the Smart screen set. I had help setting all this up by Michael Gencarelli the guy that developed the Smart screen set. I also had to update my breakout board so I went with the Warp9 Smooth stepper and a C11g breakout board kit. I have not been able to get this thing wired and get any movement out of it since. ( well a few thumps and thats it ) I also have not been able to operate the spindle with Mach like I could before all this. My spindle is controlled via a Fuling DZB200B002.2l 2DK VFD and I believe the spindle is a 3k. My step drivers are CW250 I have an X, Z and 2 Y's. My old breakout board was limited to connections and so the drivers are jumpered and there ar two wires coming off the X & Z and 3 wires coming off one of the Y's. Anyway I would be happy to send pictures or whatever more info you would need if you'd be interested in offering some direction as to what the heck I need to do. Michael that helped with the software said he could not be of any help on the wiring side of this issue. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you. Mark

Hi Steve and I working on my machine and realized I am no longer getting any light from the output side terminals and the LED green power light is not coming on either????

windows 10 does not make a 32 bit version, does it ?
mach3 will not run on a 64bit system as far as I know.
I have had good luck with windows 7 32 bit and mach3.
you should not run: firewalls, antivirus, internet or anything that can block the communication to the board.
I know nothing about smooth stepper, people were having setup and support problems from the company so I avoided them.
I only have one mach3 machine left due to so many problems and the fact mach3 wont run on 64 bit. the old computers are getting hard to find.
mach3 version ending in 57 is the one i use 66 is junk. mach3 stinks on a lathe too fussy.
I'm installing Centroid Acorn boards now and they come with their own software and a tech support forum. wiring diagrams for about anything.
This is my latest acorn project:
I have had very good luck with them and its easier to setup and install.
this is not an add I'm just stating the changes I have made.
Steve

Last edited:
windows 10 does not make a 32 bit version, does it ?
mach3 will not run on a 64bit system as far as I know.
I have had good luck with windows 7 32 bit and mach3
I run Mach3 on Windows 10 with no problems. Most 32 bit applications can run on 64 bit windows installations.

OK
I get the mach3 forum in my email daily and I was under the understanding it won't work.
that's good to know.
Steve

Perhaps the issue is with trying to drive a physical parallel port directly in Win 10 I would not trust that with anything after Win95. I use an Ethernet Smooth Stepper to connect to Mach3.

Back