I'm offering cnc stepper motor wiring and mach3 setup help

sorry I took a bit to reply, the site didn't post to my email there was a message.
I have both sherline cnc mill and lathe I built. I don't use them anymore but the both worked well for their size.
my mill has 170oz motors and a top speed of 25 ipm. your smaller motors will work. you will just have a lower top speed, unless you go with ball screws. my Mill and lathe work with the original screws that came with the machine. they are 20tpi so the motors have to turn fast to move the axis fast. I just helped 7hc build a harbor freight micro mill with the original screws and it turns 25ipm max.
every machine I have built uses windows xp on and older pc, and mach3. I use emachineshop for most of my drawings and d2nc to produce the g-code. all of these are low cost and work well for hobby use.
I buy all my electronics off ebay from china with no problems. I would not recommend using a tb6560 controller they are cheap but very unreliable. they go poof. ask 7hc here where he got the small controllers he just purchased for the micro mill, they were nice and low cost.
then you will need a breakout board.
Using the original screws is really pretty easy you just remove the handles and fabricate a motor mount. I will post a few pics if you need them and you can look for other sherline cnc conversions by just searching. I would not go crazy buying ballscrews for a sherline the machine is not ridged enough to justify the added expense and will do a really nice job without them when adjusted and set up correctly.
for tiny parts my sherline is more accurate than my zx45 mill.

here is 7hc's micro mill http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...X1-Micro-Mill-Conversion?highlight=micro+mill

In this thread you can see a couple shots of my sherline http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/6463-Yulee-Sugar-Mill-Model?highlight=sherline

when you get ready I can help you pic out parts
steve

I recently purchased a small (micro) CNC mill :)) with all the hardware installed. I am looking at different software packages but have started out with MACH3 since it seems to be popular and a good learning package. Do you know much about the macros and can you use macros to chain several gcode files to load and run sequentially? I also use CAMBAM as the CAM software. It seems to be fairly user friendly and I can produce a gcode file for each section of the part I am making, keeping each to under the 500 line limit.

Jim

I recently purchased a small (micro) CNC mill :)) with all the hardware installed. I am looking at different software packages but have started out with MACH3 since it seems to be popular and a good learning package. Do you know much about the macros and can you use macros to chain several gcode files to load and run sequentially? I also use CAMBAM as the CAM software. It seems to be fairly user friendly and I can produce a gcode file for each section of the part I am making, keeping each to under the 500 line limit.

Jim

IMO, The $175 cost for mach for a small machine is a give away price. It is sooo nice for $175. I would pony up and cut a sign or four for friends and pay it back.

Jim

Hi Jim
To chain code together you would use a text editor and copy and paste the code you wish to use in the order you need. If you are wanting to use code from the wizards they are not user named. So to use the wizard codes and edit and paste them together, edit the code from within mach3 and save the file with a name you gave it. then open each file you named and copy and paste the parts of the code you want to use to a master file you then name yourself. I have never had to use macros so I know nothing about their use.
steve

Thanks Steve, as I said I have had the machine less than 2 months and I am still deciding on which software to go with. The reason I was looking at macros is that the part I am making has several features that I am trying new profiles on and instead of editing the entire file as a whole I was hoping to edit each feature (keeps trouble shooting easier) and manually change 1 line of code.

maybe I can help in coding, I use d2nc and it works very well.
If you would like to give me a dxf file and explain what you would like to do, I'd be happy to send the code I come up with. If it is contouring in 3d (contour in z ) I'm still learning that though.
steve

Hi Steve, you tried helping me on another problem a couple months ago but I could never get the problem resolved since I found out from the mfg all the parts for the THC were not with the machine I have...now I have to send the controller and thc back to them for repair. I have since built my own 4 axes controller but having problems with that...I wired it wire for wire the same as my brothers that has to be sent back. Problem is when I connect the motors they will lock like they should but they don't turn like they should...kinđa make a rattling noise and jerk . I am going to set it up today on another computer and try to avoid the constant configure changes...any help would be appreciated. I am hoping the problems are all software not hardware related. I do have a spare motor already wired the same as the ones on the table to work with for now.
Ed

Thank you Steve, I printed the file out and also the plasma wiring from Harbor freight. I started pulling the unit apart and sat blankly staring at all the connections so I went to another project to clear my head and will come back to the THC soon. I am rolling some 1.5 inch tubing 19 feet long to make a arched roof to put a billboard banner on top to make a dry area before more rains come...The storm on sat pretty much flooded my work area where my cnc plasma is, I have tarps right now but they don't keep much water out. hopefully by the weekend I will get back to the THC.
Ed

Hi Steve, you tried helping me on another problem a couple months ago but I could never get the problem resolved since I found out from the mfg all the parts for the THC were not with the machine I have...now I have to send the controller and thc back to them for repair. I have since built my own 4 axes controller but having problems with that...I wired it wire for wire the same as my brothers that has to be sent back. Problem is when I connect the motors they will lock like they should but they don't turn like they should...kinđa make a rattling noise and jerk . I am going to set it up today on another computer and try to avoid the constant configure changes...any help would be appreciated. I am hoping the problems are all software not hardware related. I do have a spare motor already wired the same as the ones on the table to work with for now.
Ed

Hi Ed
I'd be happy to help.
please give me a list of items you used to build your system including ebay item numbers or part numbers and brands so I can look them up.
also I need a copy of the xml file in your mach3 directory you are using to run your machine. what pin numbers you connected to each controller for pulse and direction also enable if you are using enable ( most don't use enable )
how is the machine driven and what gear ratio's are you using to drive each axis.
the more thorough the information you can provide me, the closer the machine will be to full calibration on the first run.
once I have everything I'll give you a wiring diagram with pin numbers to use for the breakout board and an xml file to copy to your mach3 directory to run the machine.
pm me your email address and I'll reply with mine so you can send what I'll need
steve

Hi Steve and Happy Thanksgiving, Sorry it has taken so long to reply back, I deal with my son and his kidney dialysis 3 to 4 times a week and now our dog is sick and may not make it, He is 15 years old and the best friend you could ever have. Ok back to the controller problem. My brother bought a Eagle plasma table about 2 years and had nothing but problems, Not with the eagle system but with his brand plasma, Long story and I installed my Hobart plasma and now works perfect. Where I am going is the eagle mfg. said I will need to send the controller and thc back to have hooked up there so I built my own system from parts from a local company. I have 2 24 volt power supplies made by power systems llc. The eagle system is a 3 axis and I am setting up a 4 axis for other things to add later and I will also be building a whole new table setup when controller is working correctly. From the power supply I have connected 4 ZD-6560-v2 2009.3 driver cards. The driver boards are Bipolar, the documentation sheet that came with the boards states they are TB 6560 Single Axis driver boards...just so much to learn. The on off switch block says the tabs should be in order starting from 1 is off, on, on off but just a suggestion I guess??? and wired from those to the BOB, in order starting with
X the step input pin is 2 and the Direction input is pin 3 signal ground is 18
y 4 5
z 6 7 18
A 8 9 18
The driver cards are
I also have a relay in there for the plasma fire which wired to a 12 volt computer power supply using +5 volt and here is one part of the relay for the torch firing http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9, guardian 1390H-2C-120VAC is the second part of the relay switch to fire the torch. I have it all setup and connected to another computer at the moment and I have a similar stepper motor( 6 wire but using 4 wires, wire colors used are blue A+/yellow A- and green B+ /red B-
I can send pictures of paperwork I received if you need them or if I missed something please feel free to ask..Hope your thanksgiving was good.
Ed

Hi Ed
I'd be happy to help.
please give me a list of items you used to build your system including ebay item numbers or part numbers and brands so I can look them up.
also I need a copy of the xml file in your mach3 directory you are using to run your machine. what pin numbers you connected to each controller for pulse and direction also enable if you are using enable ( most don't use enable )
how is the machine driven and what gear ratio's are you using to drive each axis.
the more thorough the information you can provide me, the closer the machine will be to full calibration on the first run.
once I have everything I'll give you a wiring diagram with pin numbers to use for the breakout board and an xml file to copy to your mach3 directory to run the machine.
pm me your email address and I'll reply with mine so you can send what I'll need
steve

hello Ed
I sent a pm with my phone number. I have to know a lot more to help you like the motors you are using, If you are using mach3. a copy of your xml file.
It sounds like your going to be busy so when time permits give me a call and I'll ask for the info I need and help you find it on your setup.
steve

Back