I'm offering cnc stepper motor wiring and mach3 setup help

Hi Steve, I am not sure if you received the files I sent yesterday for my controller, If you didn't please let me know and I will try something different.
Thanks
Ed

I am no expert by any means
but i would like to offer my help If you have a question or problem ask
two heads are better than one and i wont tell you what a mod in the mach3 forum told me " read the manual again "
so any questions drop me a message here
steve

Hi Steve,

I wonder if you could help me?
I have a Optimum BF20 mill drill factory fitted with the stepper motors and the controller.
The problem is that I am not able to get the mill operational using Mach3.
I have done all the required setup and configurations multiple times.
The dro moves when I jog,all that the step motor does is "Click"
I have the axis steppers set to 2000, 120, 4, 0, 0 in the motor tuning section
I have the axis set under the pin and ports section as
X 2, 3, active, active 1, 1
Y 4, 5, active, active 1, 1
Z 6, 7, active active 1, 1
I have deactivated the E-stop completely.

I have checked that lpt1 port.
I have used two separate computers with the same result
I am sure it is something simple.

I would really appreciate some advise if possible I am totally frustrated and at my wits end at the moment.

PS, I've read the manual a couple of times ;-)

Thank You very much in advance

Stan

Last edited:
Hi Stan
Normally to help people I give them my phone number in a pm but my long distance doesn't cover South Africa. unless you can call the U.S. for free this is going to be hard to do but I'll try.
so lets try the hard way. I'll need a lot more information on your controller and if it was factory wired or you wired it. what kind of breakout board. A copy of your file named " mach3mill.xml ", any close up Pictures of the controller and wiring. part numbers, brands so I can try to identify the parts they are using. if there are dip switches on the controllers I need and information you have about their settings
you said the motors click when you try to move , are they locked when you power up?
I checked their site and see a lot of options... what ones do you have? did your machine come assembled or did you add on one of their kits?
does the mill have ball-screws and what pitch are the screws even if acme, is there a reduction between the motors and screws and if so what ratio? metric or imperial?
my email is jumpscam@yahoo.com, the more information you can give me the faster I can help you resolve your problem. if you have free phone service to the U.S. I can give you a phone number to call me in an email.
first thing to try is set each axis to a slower speed of 20imp instead of 120 ipm ( axis steppers set to 2000, 20, 4, 3,3 in the motor tuning section ) and let me know if there is motion.
I also need to know what operating system you are using and what type of pc. was it a fresh install of windows and if not , did you uninstall any printer drivers that may have been installed prior to installing mach3.
steve

I see after re-reading your post everything came factory installed, did the parallel cable come from them?
if they are using the "enable" pin on the controllers that will also have to be set in mach3 outputs screen
recheck your input settings for estop, mach will reset it to be "active" every time you restart mach. so set its parallel port to 2, that will keep it from working because you don't have a second parallel port 2

one more edit. lol
did they send you an xml file on a disk if so copy it to your mach3 directory and you should see it in the mach3 start up list. use that one it will have the correct settings.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the quick response. I will get all your requested info and also try your suggested slower speed and get back to you.
Once again thank you

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your wondering why there is not much as far as me helping people in this thread
it's because in order to determine the problem requires a lot more info and files exchanged and I help "Site Members" by phone, e-mail, and now I'm going to trying to use yahoo messenger for overseas conversations.
ed and stan are both being helped when theirs and my time's permit.
sorry I cant do it all in here, but it would be just way too confusing in text alone.
steve

Hi just general notice to all including the moderators. Steve has helped me solve a setup issue that I have been struggling for over a year.
Steve, Thank you for you kindness patience and assistance and going above and beyond. In the life of today you seldom find gentleman like you.
Once again thank you my Optimum BF20 cnc controller vi is up and running like a, excuse the pun " well oiled machine"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve,

I have read thru your zx45 conversion and am impressed with what you accomplished.

I have a Bridgeport with remnants of a prototrak and I am thinking the best way to go would be to add a Mach3 control system ?

I am really not sure what steps I need to take to get started. If you agree that this would be a worthwhile endeavor, any chance you could walk me thru the process ?

I have a thread started (Prototrak CNC conversion help !) and I have not had much response there.

Thanks,

Jeff

I read your thread and I'm afraid I'd only be able to help if you converted it over to stepper motors, I have no knowledge of servo motors and their controllers.
sorry I did take a look though
steve

I read your thread and I'm afraid I'd only be able to help if you converted it over to stepper motors, I have no knowledge of servo motors and their controllers.
sorry I did take a look though
steve

Thanks Steve. Hopefully someone knows something about them.

Jeff

Back