I'm offering cnc stepper motor wiring and mach3 setup help

Harvey,

I took a quick look at the Arduino pages. Unlike the hardware we are using for our CNC projects, this stuff is intended as a starting point for robotics and anything you would use steppers for. Looks like a lot of fun in itself. From what I've seen, it would be possible to up-size the outputs from the Arduino board to control almost any size stepper, with the appropriate power supply.

If you need some hands-on help, I'm sure we could put our heads together and get things happening. I took a look around after you posted the question on the stepper with one coil open. I know I have a small motor around here somewhere, but it's hiding. It would likely work with your board.

Hello Jumps4,​

If you propose your assistance liberally, well volontié which I accept it, I have a Card of control C11G (CNC4PC), and Mach3 like Software, if I could make simpler on the level chart, it would be with pleasure, all by preserving the management of the motor of pin by the biai of the PWM of the Arduino Chart.​

This it is possible...?​

Thank you by advance, if you have a little time for me I am ignorant in Electronics..., the CNC it lives is the future and the perfection!​
Cordially, Jean-Michel​

Hello Jumps4,​

If you propose your assistance liberally, well volontié which I accept it, I have a Card of control C11G (CNC4PC), and Mach3 like Software, if I could make simpler on the level chart, it would be with pleasure, all by preserving the management of the motor of pin by the biai of the PWM of the Arduino Chart.​

This it is possible...?​

Thank you by advance, if you have a little time for me I am ignorant in Electronics..., the CNC it lives is the future and the perfection!​
Cordially, Jean-Michel​

I would like to help but I'm not sure i can understand what you need well enough to help.
steve

I've been doing some research off and on regarding CNC and would like to eventually convert my X2 clone and possible build a CNC router table. Can someone tell me if I got this right as far as components required. I would need stepper motors for each axis, a controller board and power supply, computer with parallel port to connect the board and software to get the computer to communicate to the board such as Mach 3. I have been looking at CNC conversion kits on Ebay as well as the hardware kits for mounting the motors to the mill. Can anyone recommend a good stepper/controller kit. Would Nema23 steppers be sufficient to drive my X2?

Shawn

shawn there are a few builds going on with the parts lists you might look at mgp's his is all done and he is using it. it has the parts, prices and how to build all in the thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/6680-X2-Mini-Mill-CNC-Conversion
plus ones where other are doing the build without kits
steve

I'm using NEMA 34 steppers with 878 oz/inches of torque. They are WAY stronger than the X2 needs. I think most similar conversions use 23's.

I ended up with an off-shore TB6560-based 4-axis board. With some help from Steve, it is now running nicely.

Thanks Hawkeye, I'm going to do some more reading and hopefully order the parts required within the month. I'm going to install the 3 axis Igaging DRO on the Benchmaster mill so the X2 has to get cnc'd now:dunno:

Shawn
Hi Steve, Thank you for the offer for helping everyone. I could sure use some in site on a torch Height controller. The one I have is a Proma compact THC my brother bought when he bought a eagle CNC Plasma table. He could never figure out anything about it so he left it all with me and so far I did get everything working to a point. The Plasma cutter is a harbor freight unit and has some problems with the torch head, I did do some work on that and turned it into a machine torch and trying to hook up the THC and cant find what to hook the wires tơ...no paperwork at all came with what he brought me. Any help would be great...I am wanting to get it working so I can start building my table. As it is working now I can cut thinner steel but alum is a horrible mess to try which is what I want to build my gantry out of. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ed In Orangevale

hello ed
I'm just now learning thc trying to help a friend of mine with his plasma table. But here is the manual for your unit with the connections maybe that will help you.
steve

Attachments

• proma_thc_en.pdf
    407.4 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, Steve. I may take you up on the offer when my CNC arrives. As usual, I'll dig into it solo and explore but if I get jammed up, will let you know.

Ray

Thank you Steve, I printed the file out and also the plasma wiring from Harbor freight. I started pulling the unit apart and sat blankly staring at all the connections so I went to another project to clear my head and will come back to the THC soon. I am rolling some 1.5 inch tubing 19 feet long to make a arched roof to put a billboard banner on top to make a dry area before more rains come...The storm on sat pretty much flooded my work area where my cnc plasma is, I have tarps right now but they don't keep much water out. hopefully by the weekend I will get back to the THC.
Ed

hello ed
I'm just now learning thc trying to help a friend of mine with his plasma table. But here is the manual for your unit with the connections maybe that will help you.
steve

I am no expert by any means
but i would like to offer my help If you have a question or problem ask
two heads are better than one and i wont tell you what a mod in the mach3 forum told me " read the manual again "
so any questions drop me a message here
steve

Steve thanks for your kind offer.
I bought a used Sherline 4400 CNC ready with two step motors and UNIX software. No drivers just the hardware.

Just bought a Sherline Mill and would like to convert to CNC using what I already have:
(2) - FlashCut Stepper Motors, size 23, 135 oz motors with four wire serial port cables.
Spare Windows computer
DraftSight ver V1R4 x64
Looking at "Mill Wizard G-Code software" from the Mach-3 people. (just looking)

I will get a third stepper motor to have a three way mill. That's where I'm at now.

* I need software like Mach-3 or FlashCut or something else?
* A hardware controller(s) of some sort. I am totally confused about that. Ebay has import stuff that is cheap but am unsure about that option.

Converted the cnc lathe to manual till I got the shop sorted out. But still have all the CNC accessories for the motors and leadscrews.

Can I use the Windows computers? This is my hobby shop and I am learning G-Code, CAD and CNC at the same time. No hurry, just want to move ahead. What are your thoughts? As a newbie I can learn any software that would be better so fire away. What should my first steps be?
Thanks
Bob in Broomfield

DSCN0919.JPGDSCN0915.JPGDSCN0920.JPG

DSCN0919.JPG DSCN0915.JPG DSCN0920.JPG

Back