I would love a Kurt DX6, but why I don't own one.

The 6" is a beast to move around, I just took mine off of the 9 x 30 to see if I like the 4" better.
Report back in a few weeks if you would. I’ve been thinking about a 4” for my 8x30.

This is the picture I took before, I'll report back when I actually do a job.

Reactions: Z2V
I have not done a line item check about what the differences are between the D688, and the DX6, but mine is discontinued.

I saw that but it I did not take that as having to do with China's shipping but of course is a factor. Was just confused as to why I was quoted in regards to China's shipping. But whatever, no matter.

In your original post you made the comment "Yeah that sucks. It's a UPS FedEx thing." I thought you were making a comment as to the fact that these companies were charging outrageous shipping rates. I was offering up that these companies were actually charging appropriate rates, and that the price of a Chinese vise was less due to the fact that the Chinese government was subsidizing the Chinese manufacturers by absorbing almost the entire cost of shipping. They only have to do it until the competition is driven out of the market. Then the prices rise dramatically.

Over the years they have forced a number of businesses out of a particular category by subsidizing local companies to copy once popular brands. Case and point is the "Golden Goose" drill chucks. In the late 1970's and through the 1980's a company in Taiwan built these drill chucks. They were high quality, and sold for about half the price of a comparable Jacobs chuck. (I have 5 in the shop) When Taiwan had a falling out with mainland China the mainland government saw no problem with mainland manufacturers counterfeiting the chucks. Not only did they support it, but they subsidized both the manufacturing process and shipping.

It took about 5 years for the poorly made counterfeits to flood the market and ruin the original manufacturer's reputation. Since the company in Taiwan had no recourse they stopped making the chucks. There are still some original Golden Goose chucks available, but you have to know what you're looking for to differentiate the mainland ones from those built in Taiwan.

Anyone deal with MSC Industrial Direct? They've got the DX4 for $50 less than Kurt (including shipping) They're also $20 less than All Industrial Tool Supply when factoring in shipping.

I thought you were making a comment as to the fact that these companies were charging outrageous shipping rates.

Nope not at all. Often people compare UPS & FedEx rates to USPS & I get why some consumers do since their ultimate concern is the price. They can't be compared though from various stand points. I've worked in shipping as well as shipped a lot myself.

In the past UPS & FedEx did not even offer ground shipping to non-CONUS states. At some point it seems they started offering "ground" shipping to non-CONUS states but obviously it has to go by air eventually. I never looked into what it actually is other than knowing it's a slightly cheaper rate than "Air" shipments with longer transit time. It's priced accordingly & still costs more than CONUS ground.

Oh shoot. That is surprising considering Kurt is such a well known brand. Well if it's any consolation, I lost my shirt buying a used VW passat. Never ending repairs and virtually no resale value, partly because of the emissions scandal. No more of their products for me.
-M

VW hasn't built a quality car since about 1967.

Why wait. MSC shipping was slightly cheaper than All Industrial Tools, but it was UPS Ground so who knows how long that would take. Just ordered the Kurt DX4 from All Industrial Tool Supply with fedex 2nd day air. :D

Reactions: Z2V
For me the Fedx, and UPS ground takes ~ 4-5 days. It goes to a hub, is held, and then added to a flight to my destination. If it came by ocean it would be 10-14 days

For me the Fedx, and UPS ground takes ~ 4-5 days. It goes to a hub, is held, and then added to a flight to my destination. If it came by ocean it would be 10-14 days
Probably the same here, Both UPS and Fedex have major Airline hubs here, so I'm pretty sure ground will still be flown in, just low on the priority list. It was only $20 more to have it 2nd day. Still $30 cheaper than direct from Kurt.

Back