I would love a Kurt DX6, but why I don't own one.

I ordered a DX-6 when I saw it on sale with free shipping.
The UPS guy and I had a good laugh over it - I commented that it was kinda light for eighty pounds, and he wondered how small the Team required by the box to Lift it must be

I'll keep looking, Amazon Prime does often work for these items, but increasingly even prime is not shipping to Alaska/Hawaii for larger items. I mentioned the Chinese stuff mostly because it's available on e-bay and you can usually find someone who will ship it for a reasonable price. However, even there you can find items with shipping costs that are double or triple the cost of the item..........

I will also look into vertex and some of the other options. I really wanted the Glacern 5" vise, but again, shipping is ridiculous. I've got time, since I ordered the precision vise with my PM-30MV (in retrospect, perhaps I should have gone with the ultra-precision, but I figured I'd just be buying a nicer one anyway so why spend the extra.......)

Other option is to ship it to family in Oregon and have them Gold Streak it to me. If push comes to shove, this is the route I'll go, but it's a bit of a hassle for my family and I don't really like to impose on them if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
OP’s screen shot did.

I saw that but it I did not take that as having to do with China's shipping but of course is a factor. Was just confused as to why I was quoted in regards to China's shipping. But whatever, no matter.

Too bad you had to lose money- I would have called my credit card company and gotten them involved
Also, it shouldn't matter if you buy 2 vises or 200- You're still a customer and the customer is king
-M

Mark,

long before credit cards were involved, I bought the vises through a local dealer, paid cash, Kurt would not do anything for the dealer or for me. They said it was my issue or fault, not theirs and basically hung up. I somewhat felt sorry for the dealer, caught between us, he agreed to give 100% back for the good vise and I had to bite the bullet on the bad one, the shop that did the repair, bought the vise for roughly 50% of what I had paid for it. So between the 50% and the shipping, I lost somewhere near $250.

As the vises were to be used on 2 different machines, I’ve been asked, why not keep the good one, pay to have the other fixed or just shim it and move on. It’s because I’m a mean rotten spirited person, I want nothing to do with Kurt, I wouldn’t allow any of their vises, their accessories and even their catalog in the shop. They went our of their way to screw me and I’ll never forget it.

Boy, I’m glad, I’m not bitter.............

I'm not sure how long you've lived in Alaska, but prices for almost everything are higher. Whether it be food, fuel, or industrial items. We've been in your neck of the woods several months in the last 10 years. The prices take a little getting used to. In most cases shipping is baked into the price you pay at the store. When items are shipped it's more noticeable. Last year when we were there we noticed higher prices across the board.

A few examples are:

McDonalds 1/4 pounder w/cheese meal $11.70, same meal in Wisconsin $7.52.

Dewalt 6' step ladder $139.00. Same ladder at Home Depot in Wisconsin $99.00

Automatic battery acid filler $22.90 Same filler at NAPA in Wisconsin $16.99

The difference is almost always 25% to 40% higher in Alaska, which puts the final price of the vise inline with most other products.

As for the vise you might want to check All Industrial Tool Supply They advertise the DX6 for $524.00 and a fixed cost shipping of $25.00. I didn't go through the checkout process so there may be additional charges to Alaska or Hawaii.

Oh shoot. That is surprising considering Kurt is such a well known brand. Well if it's any consolation, I lost my shirt buying a used VW passat. Never ending repairs and virtually no resale value, partly because of the emissions scandal. No more of their products for me.
-M

I'm not sure how long you've lived in Alaska, but prices for almost everything are higher. Whether it be food, fuel, or industrial items. We've been in your neck of the woods several months in the last 10 years. The prices take a little getting used to. In most cases shipping is baked into the price you pay at the store. When items are shipped it's more noticeable. Last year when we were there we noticed higher prices across the board.

A few examples are:

McDonalds 1/4 pounder w/cheese meal $11.70, same meal in Wisconsin $7.52.

Dewalt 6' step ladder $139.00. Same ladder at Home Depot in Wisconsin $99.00

Automatic battery acid filler $22.90 Same filler at NAPA in Wisconsin $16.99

The difference is almost always 25% to 40% higher in Alaska, which puts the final price of the vise inline with most other products.

As for the vise you might want to check All Industrial Tool Supply They advertise the DX6 for $524.00 and a fixed cost shipping of $25.00. I didn't go through the checkout process so there may be additional charges to Alaska or Hawaii.

51 years ;) Born here in 1969.
I'm used to paying more, just not that much more. ;) If I told you what I paid for my Atlas QC54, most people wouldn't believe me. It was still worth it because lathes and mills are just not that common up here and shipping definitely factors in. However, I'm pretty happy with the shipping quote I received from Precision Matthews, very fair. When it comes time for me to upgrade my lathe, I'll certainly be buying from them again. :D

I solved the problem though, Kurt DX4 is probably plenty large enough for what I need to do and only $75 shipping fedex 2 day. My PM-30MV should arrive on either next Sundays or Tuesdays ship (currently on a truck enroute to Seattle), so I'll order the vise in a couple days.

Last edited:
51 years ;) Born here in 1969.
I solved the problem though, Kurt DX4 is probably plenty large enough for what I need to do and only $75 shipping fedex 2 day. My PM-30MV should arrive on either next Sundays or Tuesdays ship, so I'll order the vise in a couple days.

Yeah a DX4 is probably a better fit for a small machine like a PM-30MV......

The 6" is a beast to move around, I just took mine off of the 9 x 30 to see if I like the 4" better.

Reactions: Z2V
I would love a Ferrari, but why I don't own one...

Back