I would love a Kurt DX6, but why I don't own one.

acruxksa

Registered
Registered
Picture says it all. ;) Just as an FYI, Glacern wasn't any better. Also..........News Flash........ ALASKA IS IN NORTH AMERICA............................AND on the SAME CONTINENT. WTF! Please add USPS Priority to your shipping options, it's 1/4 the price.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    413.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Yeah that sucks. It's a UPS FedEx thing. Many tool vendors use UPS and/or FedEx as their primary carriers as they provide better service & rates for heavy weight items. USPS has a weight limit of 60- 70 lbs or something like that & USPS is pretty bad at handling heavy weight packages. I remember some vendors won't even ship to AK or HI.

Have you tried looking at other vendors for the Kurt instead of direct from Kurt? As far as I know no one other than Glacern sells their products.

Try checking Amazon. The DX-6 is $589 free Prime shipping & I just checked with a non CONUS address & there was no surcharge for shipping or $26 for shipping non-Prime.

I think my Kurt D688 was 78 lbs Amazon prime, the delivery person was not happy. If you live remote, you have to deal with shipping. AK residents have a 1K annual allowance, Hawaii does not....

Yeah that sucks. It's a UPS FedEx thing. Many tool vendors use UPS and/or FedEx as their primary carriers as they provide better service & rates for heavy weight items. USPS has a weight limit of 60- 70 lbs or something like that & USPS is pretty bad at handling heavy weight packages. I remember some vendors won't even ship to AK or HI.

Have you tried looking at other vendors for the Kurt instead of direct from Kurt? As far as I know no one other than Glacern sells their products.

Try checking Amazon. The DX-6 is $589 free Prime shipping & I just checked with a non CONUS address & there was no surcharge for shipping or $26 for shipping non-Prime.

UPS and FedEx are charging the actual cost to ship the product. As for products costing less when being shipped from China it's because the Chinese government subsidizes the shipping as a method of under cutting the price of goods made in the US.

Go to Google and enter the script: "does the Chinese government subsidize shipping to the US" and you'll find dozens of articles explaining why there's a huge difference between shipping costs from China to the US, and goods being shipped internally in the US. This however is a one way street. China does not subsidize shipping from the US to China even if it's for returning defective goods. For that reason alone most retailers from China don't want defective goods returned.

There are dozens of complaints on eBay about the cost to return defective items. In one case an item purchased from Hong Kong cost $6.00 plus $1.50 shipping. When it arrived at the customers door it was defective. The cost to return it was $34.50 with tracking and $11.48 without tracking.

UPS and FedEx are charging the actual cost to ship the product. As for products costing less when being shipped from China it's because the Chinese government subsidizes the shipping as a method of under cutting the price of goods made in the US.

Go to Google and enter the script: "does the Chinese government subsidize shipping to the US" and you'll find dozens of articles explaining why there's a huge difference between shipping costs from China to the US, and goods being shipped internally in the US. This however is a one way street. China does not subsidize shipping from the US to China even if it's for returning defective goods. For that reason alone most retailers from China don't want defective goods returned.

There are dozens of complaints on eBay about the cost to return defective items. In one case an item purchased from Hong Kong cost $6.00 plus $1.50 shipping. When it arrived at the customers door it was defective. The cost to return it was $34.50 with tracking and $11.48 without tracking.

What does shipping from China have anything to do with this thread? I nor the OP mentioned nothing about shipping from overseas.

Enlargement of OP's screen shot. Note the line "....and they wonder why China is winning the manufacturing battle. I'm trying to buy American, but I can get %95 of the accuracy for half the price."

1592142238582.png

Last edited:
I will never own another Kurt vise. In about 1997, I bought two 6” Kurt vises, one was very good, the other was junk. It would not sit flat on the mill table, it rocked back and forth about .015”, the other one was rock solid. I tried on 4 different mills and a couple of surface plates, the vise bottom had been machined wrong. I talk to Kurt, who said it was impossible, the seller said what I was saying was correct, they then said since I was a hobbyist, not a “professional shop”, accused me of stupidity, mis-use or willful sabotage. They were going to do absolutely nothing for me. I returned the good vise for full credit and eventually sold the bad vise to a shop, who had the bottom reground about .020” to .025” to get it right. I ended up loosing about $250 on that deal.

I ended up buying 2 Bison vises and had no issues. I’d give up machining and my home shop, before I bought another Kurt vise.

It just goes to show, as with most items, some people swear by them, others swear at them.

Last edited:
Too bad you had to lose money- I would have called my credit card company and gotten them involved
Also, it shouldn't matter if you buy 2 vises or 200- You're still a customer and the customer is king
-M

Back