I am Getting Burned Out at Work

You are kind of unusual in that it seems most people just use their tools as a means to an end, to make something and the tools are secondary. In your case what you make is not the end goal you are far more interested in the process.

I get that, I'm not as extreme in that view as you are but I got into machining to make stuff and along the way have found learning to use the machines is almost as big a part of it as what I make. I don't need a shaper, or horizontal mill, most of their uses can be done using other tools but I like to learn how to use the different machines and I like having the options. Even having these machines I'm still likely to use alternate methods just for the experience. I certainly don't need all the little lathes I've acquired, but I like using different ones, seeing their advantages or limitations, it actually helps me long term in deciding what features matter to me.

I haven't just built a shop in my basement, I've built a DIY shop class for my personal use. I like learning things even if I will only use that technique one time to decide, that there are better ways to do it. While I do enjoy making things and that is the primary reason I have the shop, I can happily spend hours just tinkering with the machines and making nothing. I've had most of them apart at some point and have learned a lot about how they work and gained a lot more confidence with them as a result.

I've been there on the working to pay off the debt, and didn't like it. I had a job that was in theory 9-5 5 days a week, but that is because the government is stuck in the 1940s and hates the idea of paying people to sit round the clock to be ready to respond to an emergency, so instead it pays for a lot of 2 hour call backs for 30 minutes of work and massive amounts of overtime. That theoretically 40 hour a week job in a typical year averaged closer to 60 hours a week, with much of it highly compressed into 80-112 hour weeks during the summer and 40 in the winter.

I quickly found OT to be a fickle and an unreliable paycheck, too many things could interfere, slow seasons, bad timing, injury, and exhaustion. Having to work the OT because you need the money also interferes with the ability to have any kind of normal home life. It was so nice when I could just tell my boss, I don't care that it is July and half the state is on fire, I'm using my leave and going on vacation with my family.
That only happened after I learned to be patient and earn the money before spending it. If I failed to get earn enough money then it just put the purchase off further, rather than having the stress of another bill to pay. It also makes working for the money more enjoyable as I can look forward to buying something I want when I'm done instead of just writing a check to pay down a bill when I get paid. Working for a check that is already spent is a real drag.

I think most DIY hobbies tend to attract people who are frugal in their spending. For many saving money is what brought them to DIY stuff in the first place. As a result you get a lot of posts about never having any debt, stuff all your loose change into savings, buy an old machine and fix it up rather than buying new etc. I happen to agree with most of this so not saying it is bad advice, but it is not "normal".

You have spent a lot of money on your hobby, with the machines and classes, but that is your main expense in life. As I recall you own one older vehicle which you share with your wife, you own your home, you don't take expensive vacations (except for your various welding, bicycle repair etc schools) and you don't seem to spend much money beyond your basic living expenses.

$70,000 on your shop seems crazy, but lots of people spend that for a new 4x4 diesel crew cab pickup that they "need" to drive their kid to school 2 miles away, a truck that never leaves the pavement, drives in the snow or tows anything. With a 4-1/2 foot bed they also can't haul anything bigger than a large bag of dog food. Personally when I see $70,000 I think :oops: but spending that on a shop seems a much better use of the money than on truck that a used Toyota Corolla can do what is needed better for 1/10 the price.

They say the average American family has $155,000 in debt, so while I'm in the keep debt as low as possible camp, you are still below average on the whole. You are realizing that you can't keep going at the rate you have been, or you will not be around to enjoy your shop. Maybe getting more time in your shop will also help control the spending. I find when I don't get a lot of time in the shop I tend to buy more stuff for the shop as kind of a surrogate to shop time. If I'm actually busy working in the shop then I'm too busy to shop for nice to have things.

I've not got a lot of room to talk about slowing down and enjoying life. I theoretically retired 4 years ago but when you add up the hours I've worked since retiring it is close to 2-1/2 years of full time work.

Anyway, you need to take care of yourself, you have built a nice shop and you need to be around to enjoy it.

Oh one more thing, make sure your wife is really ok with the situation, and let her get some of the things she needs to be happy even if that means putting some of your stuff off. Last thing you want is to have her kill you in your sleep or worse take half your shop. Enough with the Dr Phil stuff but I've seen to many people end up losing the ability to retire before they drop dead over one or more failed marriages. You think you have debt with your shop...

@Aaron_W

The cost of a divorce would torpedo any idea of spending my golden years playing in a hobby shop. I would have to change my hobby to sitting in a La-Z-Boy watching TV.

I have always wanted to ask people who wisely invest money a question: when and how do you see that money being spent?

I often advise my 21-year-old son to start a 401k. I can see that he will need a lot of revenue to live in the year 2070 and beyond.

Many people will usually: shop around for a deal, buy used instead of new, invest money early & often into a retirement fund, save instead of spend, work long OT hours, etc. I see the practicality, but when & how do these savings/investment earnings ever get spent?

Are we trying to leave money to our kids? Are we trying to make sure that we don’t spend our golden years in poverty?

Or is there a luxurious world cruise that awaits us? Take all the kids & grandkids to Italy?

Do a lot of people practice pragmatism, in part for the sake of knowing that they are making responsible choices?

I had a best friend in high school who was always saving & waiting to enjoy things in the future. He looked to have a very bright future, indeed, until he was killed at age 19 in a car crash. I know that this makes the case for safe driving (his friend, the driver, fell asleep at the wheel), but it sort of showed me at a young age that you might want to get while the getting is good because your life can be ended at any time.

I would just feel really disappointed if I saved up a few million dollars, and then died before I could *enjoy* spending every penny of it.

On the other hand, there is the guy who spends his whole life planning to die with a dollar in his pocket, and then lives to be 100.

I have always wanted to ask people who wisely invest money a question: when and how do you see that money being spent?

I often advise my 21-year-old son to start a 401k. I can see that he will need a lot of revenue to live in the year 2070 and beyond.

Many people will usually: shop around for a deal, buy used instead of new, invest money early & often into a retirement fund, save instead of spend, work long OT hours, etc. I see the practicality, but when & how do these savings/investment earnings ever get spent?

Are we trying to leave money to our kids? Are we trying to make sure that we don’t spend our golden years in poverty?

Or is there a luxurious world cruise that awaits us? Take all the kids & grandkids to Italy?

Do a lot of people practice pragmatism, in part for the sake of knowing that they are making responsible choices?

I had a best friend in high school who was always saving & waiting to enjoy things in the future. He looked to have a very bright future, indeed, until he was killed at age 19 in a car crash. I know that this makes the case for safe driving (his friend, the driver, fell asleep at the wheel), but it sort of showed me at a young age that you might want to get while the getting is good because your life can be ended at any time.

I would just feel really disappointed if I saved up a few million dollars, and then died before I could *enjoy* spending every penny of it.

On the other hand, there is the guy who spends his whole life planning to die with a dollar in his pocket, and then lives to be 100.

This is just a personal answer. I think everyone has different opinions on this topic.

I'm 28 right now, married, recently bought a house, looking at kids on the horizon. I have been given the privilege of opportunity and education and the chance to get a decently well paying job. Wife and I work hard, too hard for our mental health to be honest. Wife regularly has 80+ hour weeks at work.

Our financial planning has always been about security. If things go right (and that can always fall apart), we hope to be able to pay off the, house, give our kids a nice home to grow up in, maybe help pay for their schooling, donate to charities we believe in regularly, and retire as early as is reasonably possible. We take one or two modest vacations a year and otherwise try to not live a highly consumer lifestyle. Probably the best statement is that I'd like a comfortable life, hopefully one where I could do something good for other people, and not need to stress about money. If I don't spend every penny, great, give enough to the kids to help them out and donate the rest if we somehow get lucky and die with more than our family needs.

Besides machining and engineering hobbies, I try to spend as much time outdoors as I can. Rock climbing, backpacking, whitewater kayaking, multi-day bike trips, etc. For me, this is how I enjoy seeing the world, much more so than an expensive trip to a foreign city or high-roller lifestyle in some expensive US city.

Again, this is just me. Every person here could write a different story.

For me, it is a balance between saving for the future and living today...

We sometimes go crazy but the craziness can never put at risk food on the table, a roof over our head, or shoes on our feet (sounding like an Alabama song)....

The amount of $ I have spent on hobbies or just stuff that I wanted to learn is ridiculous... but never has that gotten in the way of helping my mother/siblings/extended family, friends or even strangers. All is good as long as I do not place my family's well being at risk...

I come from a poor family... I know that that is like... I am who I am thanks to the great mentors I have had throughout my life... that and persistance and hard work... never giving up and not listening to folks telling me that I can't do something... I am the eternal optimistic that think that the worst that can happen is that we succeed... Failure, and I have had many, are just learnings... we pay for everything we learn... sometimes with money, sweat, or tears... nothing comes free... at least that has not been the case for me.

I encourage my wife to make sure she follows her dreams and work toward any goals she has... I do not want to be 80 with her complaining about how I did not let her do this or that.... same goes for her with me...

I have a 401K, so does my wife... We prepaid for our daughter and son's college tuition. Daughter just finished her Masters without any debt and still 5K in her bank account. My son is in his first year of college... and between the scholarships and everything else, he has 12K right now in his bank account (he got a lot more scholarships than my daughter, reason for the difference in savings just in his first year)... His plan is to also do a Master's degree without me having to fork out additional $$. They will not give me back any of the prepaid money... even with all the scholarships they have received :D:D, but that is okay...

I do not waste money in hookers, that also helps... but I do like to drink wine, whiskey, beer...

We are already planning our retirement... 10 years earlier... For the last three years we have cut back on loading the credit cards... three years now that we buy and we pay within the 30 days. No credit card debt!! I can't believe it... but it is true! Feels frigging amazing!

COVID, with all the craziness, has helped us as well... not going out to dinner or doing this and that has helped with savings. And you know what? We do not miss that stuff... Instead, I was able to buy the used lathe and mill cash... and if all goes well, I will build a small workshop next year...

All that to say, just have a plan... does not mean to limit your goals... it means to have some level of organization that helps you achieve those goals without the distress that could impact your health or your family... Some stress is good, it keeps us all going... but you have to be careful that it does not reach a point that becomes counterproductive and impacts your health... What good is all this if you can't take the time to enjoy a few moments...

Last edited:
but when & how do these savings/investment earnings ever get spent?
Incrementally, as needed, after W2 income has ceased.

Do a lot of people practice pragmatism, in part for the sake of knowing th
Yes,yes,no,maybe.
No you wouldn't. You wouldn't feel anything at all. Lol
But I get your thinking. I've been told the same story by another friend of mine who works himself to death, so he can buy Underarmour, Nike, and Cabelas for the kiddos. I just think you ain't quite happy doing how you did. Maybe try it a different way.

I often advise my 21-year-old son to start a 401k.
Best advice. Early investments lead to significantly larger next eggs with lower input because of compound interest.

I wrote a bunch of stuff, then I deleted it. Think @wachuko and @macardoso have the right perspective. You will get a lot of opinions on this. Live well, but not extravagantly. Keep family first. If you do these things (and kick the debt habit) you will be happier with your life, no matter how long it is.

Back